SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Trip to kelling heath tonight.

djpaul

I'm off work this week no moon about and it's supposed to be clear skies at Kelling Heath.

So I'm considering driving there from Northampton to do a spot of star gazing . 

Taking my new william optics zenithstar 73 and DSLR.and bins.

Anyone been there .?

Just how good are the views in a moonless , clear night.?

I go there regularly for the star parties.  Nice and dark, though there is a bit of LP creeping in from a local source over in the South but I think this may be a stadium and the light disappears after around Midnight.

Lovely place all round.  Nature walks, steam railway.  Very envious.  

They do occasionally get some freak windy weather there, but its unpredictable.  

Carole 

Yes it looks like its going to be good evening, especially after midnight according to "Clear Outside". Although there will be a moderate wind 8/9/10 mph. I only wish I didn't have work in the morning or would have enjoyed coming along :) Hope you have a good session!!!

image.png.873de93c8d6bb762fb75c67326f0a643.png

Well you can't trust the weather man . 

All week it has  been on the weather report that kelling was going to be clear all night. 

Drove all the way there. Had bangers and mash in a nearby pub in kelling .  Only to find the weather had made a drastic change to cloud all night. 

The camp looked so great so will leave now untill the spring star party. 

Hope to meet some of you there. 

I share your disappointment, Paul. I was all prepared for a night under the stars last night. The forecast just kept getting worse and worse as the evening went on. 

I didn’t know you could observe at Kelling Heath if there wasn’t a star party on. Is that still at the caravan park/campground? It’s only about a 30 minute drive for me. 

Weekend trips and drawing a blank at Elan happen too often. 

But as the mobs motto goes.."if you don't go you'll never know" !!...as Pete says one trip to darker skies can deflate your enthusiasm for home observing. 

I didn’t know you could observe at Kelling Heath if there wasn’t a star party on. 

No reason why you shouldn't just won't be an official star party and unlikely to be any other Astronomers there to share the enjoyment.

Carole 

7 minutes ago, carastro said:

No reason why you shouldn't just won't be an official star party and unlikely to be any other Astronomers there to share the enjoyment.

Carole 

Thanks Carole. I just wasn't sure if it required some sort of prearrangement to go to or you could just turn up and observe if there were clear skies. I've not been there before.

When the star party is not there it's just a normal camping field, so you will find non astronomers there with white lights.  (Star party rules are no white lights), and of course no other astronomers to keep a watch over your kit if you have to pop to the loo etc.

Also you get a star party discount at the official star party whereas you pay full price if you go there at any other time. 

Carole 

I called before going and was told I was welcome to go into the camp but my car might get locked in at night. 

I found lots of space just outside the gates where i was told i could park and set up.

Archived