Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

P46/Wirtanen and M45

28DC52DE-0A35-4E78-AE46-4A3F7B59F6A0.thumb.png.98bf7ba17762813c775e860ed87b13ce.png

Processing this was a bit of a challenge to say the least. My Comet only stack left very noticeable blue streaks near the Pleiades and I couldn’t remove them. They were even worse after I’d removed the large light pollution gradient near the bottom. So I cheated a bit, well it seems like cheating. I split both images in two, then used Gradient Merge to recombine half of the Comet only image with the good half of the Stars only image. I’ve darkened the background quite a lot to try and hide residual star streaks in the bottom half of the image, so don’t look too closely. :) 

I was very pleased to catch it with The Pleiades in the early hours of Sunday Morning. The rain and the absence of some street lights had improved the subs compared with my previous comet image.

Its the same set up as before, Canon 450D, 135mm on Star Adventurer, F2.8 ISO400 about 1.5 hours of 30 second exposures, processed in PixInsight. Hope you like it.

Hi Guys

Not been able to observe the last couple of weeks, due to continual rain and overcast conditions

Last week was over in Fiji family situation, and thought might seen from there, as very little light pollution remote rural area, and same conditions applied, as at home

We had a cyclone hanging around as well, which dumped over 400mm of rain some communities north of where I am over  a few hours

John

8 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Hi Guys

Not been able to observe the last couple of weeks, due to continual rain and overcast conditions

Last week was over in Fiji family situation, and thought might seen from there, as very little light pollution remote rural area, and same conditions applied, as at home

We had a cyclone hanging around as well, which dumped over 400mm of rain some communities north of where I am over  a few hours

John

I feel for you, the weathers been lousy over here for a while as well. On the Saturday before I took this it was raining most of the day. I was pleasantly surprised the forecast to clear around midnight was correct. :) 

28 minutes ago, Vixen4eva said:

I managed to get an image of 46P sadly not at closest approach. Great image!!!

Alan

Thank you Alan, i was hoping to catch M45 as well but didnt really expect to get the chance. :) 

Stuck my head outside last night

Fairly clear skies, and did not set up the dob to chase P46

Almost full moon was sitting close to Orion and Pleiades, and entire yard cast in light from the moon

We have a super moon on the 21st January, which explains brightness last night, which will also be a lunar eclipse, and not visible from where I am

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2019-january-21

John

20 hours ago, SIDO said:

Very nice image, sometimes overcoming a little difficulty  makes the whole difference in and of itself...

Thank you. Yes you’re right, I also learnt a little of a new processing tool so I’ll have to delve into it a bit more now.  :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived