Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Time joke

ollypenrice

The French radio have just done a documantary on Stephen Hawking which referred to a joke of his I hadn't heard before. He decided to invite time travellers from the future to a meeting in Cambridge but, in order to get only genuine time travellers, he issued the invitations after the date of the event.

Lovely!

Olly

Just now, laser_jock99 said:

543655_10151045546012868_665434457_n.jpg

Seen on a house in the village of Long Itchington......

I like that.  Very nice :D  Of course he may have died only forty-five years after he was born, but he could actually have been twice that age...

James

Ahh the paradoxes and absurdities of time travel! It can only work if you invoke parallel universes but then, it seems to me, it wouldn't really be time travel at all. On the other hand it's hard to know what's real - we only know what our senses tell us yet our senses are fallible. It's all a dream and then you don't wake up! A number of times I've had dreams that seemed real and with me existing  in a different reality. Then I've woken up from that dream only to find I'm actually still dreaming. Weird.

Louise

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

Ahh the paradoxes and absurdities of time travel! It can only work if you invoke parallel universes but then, it seems to me, it wouldn't really be time travel at all. On the other hand it's hard to know what's real - we only know what our senses tell us yet our senses are fallible. It's all a dream and then you don't wake up! A number of times I've had dreams that seemed real and with me existing  in a different reality. Then I've woken up from that dream only to find I'm actually still dreaming. Weird.

Louise

You're not the only one. I quite regularly dream that I wake up from a dream to still be dreaming. 

8 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Louise

I've had that too.  A dream within a dream.  Philosophically, I sometimes wonder if this life is just a dream and when you "die" you wake up in another reality. 

1 hour ago, Gina said:

I've had that too.  A dream within a dream.  Philosophically, I sometimes wonder if this life is just a dream and when you "die" you wake up in another reality. 

I'm sure it's just the brain playing tricks! I believe that when someone dies then that's it - lights out and you cease to exist. Can't say I'm looking forward to it...

Louise

47 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

I'm sure it's just the brain playing tricks! I believe that when someone dies then that's it - lights out and you cease to exist. Can't say I'm looking forward to it...

Louise

It shouldn't be any different to what it was before you were born.  How well have you coped with that?    ?

8 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

It shouldn't be any different to what it was before you were born.  How well have you coped with that?    ?

Non existence is a human psychological problem. I suppose it's why we invent religions, ghosts, spirits etc. Sure, there was a time that I didn't exist and then I did. Now that I do exist, I don't like the idea of my existence ceasing even though it's inevitable. I didn't cope or not cope before I existed since non-existence = non-awareness.

Louise the Philosopher....

Louise

10 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

.....which sum it all up nicely: oblivion - life - oblivion.  ?  (But we're getting perilously close to prohibited territory here!)

Doug.

Louise

Hmmm... the technology of the future, or any alien technology, will be easily capable of reversing death.

Archived