NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Voyager 2 Doesn't Leave Solar System

Stub Mandrel

1 hour ago, maw lod qan said:

Those here better be ready when V'ger  does come back, more powerful, and wanting to speak with 'The Creator'!

I remember that ST episode too ?  One of the very early ones...

15 hours ago, bish said:

Interesting point. This would mean any star’s solar system edge would be the centre of gravity to the nearest star?  

I think a valid definition of the edge of the Solar System could be the end of its gravitational dominance ie where an object is more influenced by the gravity of another star. Given that Alpha Centauri is about 4.3 light years away, and is 1.3 solar diameters, I guess we can assume that is somewhere between 1.5 and 2 light years away perhaps? Sure someone can do a bit of maths ;). Obviously there are other stars around which would complicate things and probably bring that limit further in towards us.

Getting something 1 lightyear away from us would be a huge milestone! Doesnt take anything away from the amazing achievements of the Voyager team though, incredible stuff.

There was a documentary on Sunday, after The Sky at Night, detailing the travels of Voyager 1 and 2.

A very interesting watch. Karl Sagan featured. A man whose styleand prose was quite thought provoking. Also reliving the final couple of press conferences where the images of Voyager 2 looking back at a crescent Neptune and its crescent moon, followed by Sagan showing the Voyager 1 look down image onto the Solar System....... Seeing Earth as a mere speck of dust in a beam of light. Wow!

Archived