Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New to Astrophotography

Peart

Hi All,

So I am new to astrophotography and was looking for some advice on what to buy, mainly the mount as I don't have a huge budget.

I am currently using a SkyWatcher 102mm Telescope (500mm Focal Length) with a Canon 550d along with a EQ2 mount, so no motors as of yet.

Any advice on what mounts to get would be great.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to SGL, for reasonably trouble free astro' imaging a second hand HEQ5 is a good starting point.

For imaging using a DSLR and camera lenses or small scope the Sky Watcher Star Adventurer works well.

Dave

47 minutes ago, Peart said:

My budget for a mount is with the £500 mark.

Plenty of HEQ5's around the last few months for that sort of money. For a smidge more I managed to get an EQ6 so depends how far you can stretch.

Check out the classifieds here as well as Astro Buy and Sell. There are also a couple of facebook groups which deal with second hand gear.

£500 should get you a used HEQ5.

I followed advice on here a year or so back and bought one used for £475, it has helped to get me into astrophotography and I have no regrets about that purchase. Knowing a bit more about it now I am sure that if I'd have gone for a cheaper mount I'd have ended up frustrated at times. A good solid mount is crucial if you are looking at doing imaging, the HEQ5 was the most expensive part of my setup when I was getting started but everyone here said 'invest in the best mount you can afford, ideally HEQ5 upwards"....... They were right. ?.

• 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, Sandgrown said:

Hi, may I quantify something, is the reason for a HEQ5 that it is a heavier sturdy mount/tripod or it has a finer smoother tracking gear? 

Thanks 

Sturdier / mount load  ,has ports for being able to guide via Eqmod or st4 , go to , +1 for making every photon count  it will get you up to speed with what you need to know first ?

Agree with all the above comments.  You can't skimp with the mount it is essential to get something sturdy, that guides and will cope with whatever scope you plan to mount on it.

For imaging you need to halve the payload recommended for observing.

Carole 

Archived