Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

There's a hole in my space station

johnfosteruk

Dear Liza...

Actually it's in the Soyuz orbit module (which isn't involved in the descent so that's fine) and it's 2mm diameter.

Alexander Gerst plugged it with his thumb at first, then tape while a permanent solution was sought.

The internet at large is talking lots of rubbish about it of course

Here's a write up.

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2018/08/international-space-station-losing-air-through-a-tiny-hole-astronauts-safe

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

That relies completely (for at least a little while longer) on Russia for crew transportation.

The Soyuz has been the most reliable after all.

The way the article I refer to was headed did appear to cast a somewhat negative impression on the notion it was a leak on the "Russian side". But hey ho, western media...

Let us not digress. Hope they get it sorted and it doesn't escalate.

The plot (like my recently used body-filler project) thickens! ?
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/sep/05/space-station-air-leak-someone-drilled-the-hole-say-russians
Openness! But not convinced widening the "discussion" to TWITTER etc. was the best move... ?

DmL_1ziXcAQ4uC6.jpg.40a72217667eb6d66cd4435fed09af4a.jpg

Looks suspiciously like one of my "Friday afternoon" DIY jobs though! ?

Rumor is now some astronaut drilled through the hull by accident, they at the time I read this scuttle if true were attempting to find out who the happy driller is. Fortunately the space station is really not is space and is just in low earth orbit so we can assist the crew if a trouble becomes a threat. I was thinking space junk, meteor when the news first broke but drilling a hole in my boat while out fishing never crossed my mind.

On 05/09/2018 at 09:39, Macavity said:

The plot (like my recently used body-filler project) thickens! ?
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/sep/05/space-station-air-leak-someone-drilled-the-hole-say-russians
Openness! But not convinced widening the "discussion" to TWITTER etc. was the best move... ?

DmL_1ziXcAQ4uC6.jpg.40a72217667eb6d66cd4435fed09af4a.jpg

Looks suspiciously like one of my "Friday afternoon" DIY jobs though! ?

If drilled in zero g that might explain all the skidding and the crazy angle...

Amazing that the skin appears to be less than 2mm thick - and that's doubled up by the bracket...

Archived