Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's Your Favorite Object?

Geoff Barnes

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

The sky. ?

.....and a very good place to start it is too! ?

Thanks to everyone for contributing so far, it's been great reading all your favorites this last couple of days. In fact it has inspired me to seek out a few of your suggestions that I haven't seen before.

I ventured out with the C4R this evening and found some gems new to me, mostly low down on my northern horizon above the mountain ridge top.

I found the Ring Nebula for the first time, could just make out a very faint circular smudge nothing more, but at least I saw it!

While in that area I found Albireo, again a first for me. Beautiful glowing golden yellow above a glistening pale blue, lovely combination!

Also had another look at the double double but just couldn't quite separate them this time, or could I, so hard to tell.

Took advantage of the clear skies and had a good look at Jupiter, Saturn and Mars, though I needed to get down on my knees to see them as they're so high in the sky here!

Saw Ganymede crossing in front of Jupiter, Io was also there but unable to make it out.

Saturn was lovely and sharp with faint hint of banding on the southern half of the disc.

Mars was very bright, and vague darker tones were evident as was the south polar cap though I thought it not as clear as a week ago for some reason.

So I'm indebted to you all for your suggestions and will continue to explore more as time goes by. Can't wait for Orion to become visible at night, it's up during daylight here currently.

Many thanks. ?

The Moon and Jupiter are the only two objects that I will happily observe for long periods, some times most of the session, but if I have to pick one it is very definitely the Moon, so much detail to study, and up close !

1 hour ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Took advantage of the clear skies and had a good look at Jupiter, Saturn and Mars, though I needed to get down on my knees to see them as they're so high in the sky here!

Geoff, I reckon that is a problem most of us up here would love to have with the planets hugging the horizon  at the moment :(

Great thread, always good to remember the best objects out there.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Geoff, I reckon that is a problem most of us up here would love to have with the planets hugging the horizon  at the moment :(

Great thread, always good to remember the best objects out there.

Hang in there Stu, your turn will come!

Can't wait to get the Dob back in action though, at least I'll be able to view in an upright manner!

Jupiter - was the first thing I saw in a scope when I was a very young lad and was amazed at the time I could make out a small blob and actually see the moons, offers a different view every time you look at it

On 28/08/2018 at 12:14, S.A.M said:

Start with the Sun as it always changing?  Always go to M42 in winter sky plus lots of other Messier objects, never bother with Spiral Galaxies I find them very boring!

Peter

Not just Winter - I seen Orion at 4.30 am this morning - Castor and Pollux too ?

In the Winter, Hagdrid’s Dragon, an Open Cluster, NGC2301 is beautiful to look at in a small scope.

In the Summer / Autumn, M22 the Wild Duck Cluster, sweeping downwards to the Lagoon Nebula (M8) a favourite.

I usually at least once per session look for Kemble’s Cascade; again great in a small scope...NGC1502 at the base.

Great idea for a thread @Geoff Barnes

Chris

Mine would be first the Carina Nebula, than the Omega Centauri Cluster, Saturn and Jupiter at high power (400X+) during the clearest most stable nights, Orion Nebula, Omega Nebula and Swan Nebula....Those are my faves

Although I do get a lot of pleasure when going back to the moon, using the ND filter as well as the Polarizer and using the Ethos where I not only see the whole moon phase/disc in the FOV at the same time but its at high power and very contrasty with the different shades and streakes being very obvious. Almost like looking out of a window while in orbit.

Archived