Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'm sure this has a natural explanation but i don't know enough.

An amateur astronomer has a video of Mars but there's a dark circle in the middle of Mars.

Ignore the UFO in the title, he admits he's not experienced, it obviously isn't a UFO (or an asteroid as he says at one point!) since it moves with Mars, so it must be some kind of optical effect ?

Thats the image you get when a scope with a secondary obstruction is way out of focus :rolleyes2:

Nothing mysterious about it at all.

Either the video maker knows this and is having a joke or he has done zero research before posting.

What a load of ****** obviously out of focus image showing the central obstruction caused by the secondary mirror of an SCT  or similar.

Nearly as good as the one showing the stars of Cassiopeia speeded up appearing over a rooftop and the guy claiming that it's a formation of UFOs :grin:

Dave

3 minutes ago, rockystar said:

People post some rubbish on youtube. Well done you though for trying to find an explanation :)

Well i thought i'd ask the experts :)

I still don't quite understand though, i understand about the secondary mirror,but i don't understand why the dark disc stays in the centre of Mars when the telescope isn't moving, i woudl have thought it would appear to edrift to the left as Mars moves to the right?

3 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

It is difficult to comprehend how someone can be this ignorant. Sadly you see stuff like this posted all the time.

Yes, i spent ages trying to dissuade flat-earthers and the like but they seem to be willfully ignorant, and don't get me started on Nibiru and 'second sun' channels, they end up blocking me!

15 minutes ago, moonomaly said:

I still don't quite understand though, i understand about the secondary mirror,but i don't understand why the dark disc stays in the centre of Mars when the telescope isn't moving, i woudl have thought it would appear to edrift to the left as Mars moves to the right?

Imagine the light coming in to the telescope as a cone, if it focuses at the point of the obstruction, that will then be projected onto the mirror at the same angle that the light is coming on from, as a shadow. 

33 minutes ago, moonomaly said:

If there were 10 bright stars in the same field and the image was defocused, all would have a central obstruction shadow in the middle.  It doesn't matter where in the field they are located.

This reminds me of winter days when the atmosphere is really unstable and Venus is low to the horizon scintillating in all sorts of colors and seemingly jumping around.  People start calling in UFO reports when it's nothing more than Venus.

Archived