NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is there a written history of British/European Telescope manufacturing?

AndyH

After finding and posting up the history of Tal telescopes, it got me wondering if there has ever been something similar-ish done for the UK and europe wide?

I can remember the days when after buying the lastest issue of Astronomy Now, leafing through the adverts and sending off a stamped addressed envelope for the latest catalogue/price lists. Yes, you young yins, there was no internet ?

I'd love to read about the companies and more often the individuals who made all sorts of stuff. What was produced etc. Same goes for europe. Germany.. There must have been more than the two Zeis companies? France - All I can think of are those expensive eyepieces from Clave of Paris. The Low Countries? etc etc etc........

Cheers, Andy

4 hours ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

Hi, This book contains history of UK telescope engineering and is an excellent starting point for further research...Dave

DSC_0001 (1).JPG

I also have this lovely little book. It is also available to read on-line in an archive (can't remeber where). There is a big chapter on WW2 optics, which I guess were common place at the time, and is still part of the history of optics and atstronomy in the UK. Apparently, an anti-missile gun sighting scope, which comprised a wideangle scope for spotting missiles, coupled to a high powered scope for sighting the gun, made a perfect astronomy scope+finder combo!

12 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Apparently, an anti-missile gun sighting scope, which comprised a wideangle scope for spotting missiles, coupled to a high powered scope for sighting the gun, made a perfect astronomy scope+finder combo!

I can imagine ack ack gunners whiling away the hours stargazing, in a blackout to boot, I guess there were some compensations.

Dave

Archived