Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

John Owen 6" refractor

rl

A very engaging read indeed. Many thanks for sharing this. The  instrument sounds like a serendipitous find and its clearly in a good home. As you say, JO made a small number of these triplets, I am aware of a couple of others, but I wonder where the other instruments now reside?

• Like 1

Thanks all for the encouraging feedback guys...there's a couple of other slightly unusual items I might review in due course.

RL

Very enjoyable review Richard - thanks for posting the link :smiley:

I think I fancied myself as a "Victorian gentleman astronomer" when I bought my Istar 6" F/12 the year before last - it was only an achromat but quite a handful !

The problem was that I did not have a "Victorian gentlemans observatory" to house it :rolleyes2:

I'm sure that I've seen a John Owen 6" triplet for sale quite a while back but I think that was F/12 or possibly even F/15 ?. Did he make even longer ones than your F/10 ?

• Like 1

John...

As far as I am aware these were made as f/9 or f/10 only but I'm prepared to be wrong on this one. At f/15 a doublet would be pretty much colour-free making the extra cost and effort pointless. I'm just amazed at just how well it works..it seems to do everything a decent 6" frac is supposed to do. 

RL

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rl said:

John...

As far as I am aware these were made as f/9 or f/10 only but I'm prepared to be wrong on this one. At f/15 a doublet would be pretty much colour-free making the extra cost and effort pointless. I'm just amazed at just how well it works..it seems to do everything a decent 6" frac is supposed to do. 

RL

Thanks Richard.

I really like long(ish) triplets - my TMB/LZOS 130 F/9.25 is superb :smiley:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...