Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Society Obsy feasability study

Swoop1

I am putting this in Astro Lounge as opposed to DIY Observatories because, well, I probably won't be doing it (all) myself.......

I stuck my neck out at my societies AGM and raised the prospect of having our own observatory. Arguments against were expense, lots of folk have their own dome, location and security.

Arguments for included outreach, lots of folk want but can't have their own observatory, skills progression.

I was tasked with a feasabilty/ cost study before we decide whether to approach organisations for either funding assistance or permission to site an obsy on their ground.

To kick start the costing side of the study, I need to asses what is required (outside of a plot of land for the obsy).

My first thoughts are:-

Shell. I am thinking sustainable so a substantial wooden structure including a dome and warm room. 'Flatpack' with DIY assembly would reduce financial impact. Perhaps increase the warm room size into something large enough to become our meeting hall?

Power. Mains would be best but, would a solar panel/ battery combo suffice?

Pier. This would be one of the DIY part of the project and I am thinking a reinforced concrete pier with mount fixings to suit the desired mount though a steel pier is a possibility.

Water/ Drainage. As a society obsy, with outreach use a goal, somewhere to produce refreshing beverages (and to download the later result) may be desired. Mains and sewer or mains water and septic tank?

What have I missed?

Thanks

Matt

A warm room is a must if building it for outreach and relevant H & S and risk assessment stuff/fire protection/access for disabled users, toilets, tea and coffee making facilities. The obsy might have to be larger than a home one as you'll need room to host a talk if cloud stops play. Unless there is a building on the premises you can use for that purpose (such as a village hall) then you are laughing - a dome and warm room should suffice.

Depending on what you go for, it may need planning permission.

Would be great to have a resident photonic bucket, as massive telescopes will bring the punters in and gives a great focal point and purpose of the observatory.

Not an impossible task but a good idea to assess - pardon the pun - the scope of the project. Overwhelming at first but just needs a lot of consultation/planning.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Swoop1 said:

What have I missed?

Site liability insurance might be an issue.

I used to be a member of a small dinghy sailing club that had to close because we could no longer afford the public liability insurance for the building and grounds. This is essential if you intend to invite members of the public on to your site.

Out on the water our own boats, possessions and personal accident insurance were covered by individual policies that were mandatory and part of the clubs rules. These policies were easily affordable costing less than a few hundred pounds per year for small dinghies and day boats but the public liability insurance for guests and public visiting the boat house and club house (sounds impressive but just big sheds in reality) leapt in cost every year and in 2012 we had to close after the annual insurance premium reached £7k. With only room for a dozen boats and eighteen members this was costing each of us nearly £400 on top of our personal policies. Factor in the clubs other costs, rates, water, services, sewage (septic tank), fire and theft insurance, maintenance etc, and we just could not afford to continue as the total membership fees for each of us reached over £1,000 p.a. Being mainly a retired membership and low average disposable income we just could not continue.

Personal security and safety have to be considered, phone coverage, land line or good mobile signal to summon help in the case of illness or accident.

CCTV provision may be required, it was a condition of our building and contents insurance as we were broken into, or suffered an attempted break-in pretty much once every year, so we needed a high speed broadband connection for the cameras though the thieves used to shin up the telephone pole and cut the telephone and power cables running to the club house quite regularly, one of the problems of having buildings in a remote location.

Besides the above, you may find many club members are not physically able to travel safely to and from a remote site late at night and these members will feel excluded from this project unless the faciltiy to access the telescope remotely is included, in which case you are looking at imaging equipment, computers, broadband provision, software, weather station etc etc.

Nice Idea, but I fear too many obstacles, logistically, and legally I'd venture to say.
I remember Border Astronomical Society being successful in getting a Lottery Awards For All grant of £2000.
to improve their Domed Observatory. Most of it was eaten up by having to provide access to wheelchair bound 
folks. 

Archived