Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nagler Type 4 question?

rwilkey

I have just become the lucky owner of two second-hand Nagler Type 4's (the 22 & 17mm) and whilst working out how the raised eyeguards work (I now know they pull up and down) I found that the central body of both, that is from the grip upwards, turns on its axis quite easily.  For owners of Type 4's can I ask if this is normal?

I have all three Type 4 Naglers. I am not usre I have seen the behaviour you note, but then I never touched the whole eye-guard-setting stuff, because I use them with the eyeguard all the way down. I will check my EPs when I get home. BTW, the 22 and 17 are the best T4s, the 12 is very good, but not quite as crisp in my C8 as the other two. I don't think it is due to seeing, as the 14mm Delos and XW10 show better views.

My 12mm and 17mm T4s have the inner spring set quite tightly, so I don't get much twisting or unintended up/down motion as others might.  There are instructions somewhere on the web on how to tighten it by first removing the outer part after unscrewing the top from the bottom of this outer cowling, IIRC.  Mine came second hand all nicely tightened up already, so I have never gone through the process myself.

Congratulations on the 17 and 22mm, the latter was rated very highly in a Sky at Night mag test some years back.I have owned the 12mm and had an outing or two with a 17mm before Christmas, I can't say I noticed what you report but then all of the tightness of these eyeguard seem different, the same was true of the Radians, I had 5 of them and all were different. They ranged from fall down on its own to where's the hammer.

Alan 

Of all the Naglers, the 22mm T4 is the only one that I have considered. 

Kidney bean issues & eye comfort/placement from previous TV mid FL eps keep me away. But I would like to try one. Pre-owned price though. 

On 19/04/2018 at 09:46, rwilkey said:

I have just become the lucky owner of two second-hand Nagler Type 4's (the 22 & 17mm) and whilst working out how the raised eyeguards work (I now know they pull up and down) I found that the central body of both, that is from the grip upwards, turns on its axis quite easily.  For owners of Type 4's can I ask if this is normal?

The TV Radian has the same “instadjust” feature as the Nagler T4s. The upper part of the EP can be easily rotated, as well as the “clickstop” up and down movement, which can be user adjusted as required. It’s not difficult, just fiddly. To tighten the action the inner spring needs to be made slightly smaller in diameter, and a bit larger for a looser action.

With the eyecup at the best height for the individual user, the blackout problem that some have complained about can be eliminated.

Ed.

On both my TV Plossl 55mm and 41mm Panoptic, there is a metal threaded eye height chamber with a rubber cup up top. The height is finely adjustable, and the chamber removed completely. Much simpler. The Panoptic also has a lock ring.

14 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

The TV Radian has the same “instadjust” feature as the Nagler T4s. The upper part of the EP can be easily rotated, as well as the “clickstop” up and down movement, which can be user adjusted as required. It’s not difficult, just fiddly. To tighten the action the inner spring needs to be made slightly smaller in diameter, and a bit larger for a looser action.

With the eyecup at the best height for the individual user, the blackout problem that some have complained about can be eliminated.

Ed.

Thanks Ed, my mind has been put so much at ease by all the comments, I bought these second-hand (sorry, pre-owned) and was a little concerned, but now I am very happy. 

5 hours ago, rwilkey said:

Thanks Ed, my mind has been put so much at ease by all the comments, I bought these second-hand (sorry, pre-owned) and was a little concerned, but now I am very happy. 

That’s great Robin. I’ve also been concerned about used kit, and forums like SGL is a good way to allay our worries.

Hope you get first light very soon with your fabulous T4s ?

Ed.

17mm T4 Nagler is the best EP I have ever owned.  it works brilliantly in Dob, SCT, TEC140 and ED80 scopes. It is a fabulous medium power EP.  The only negative comment I would make is be careful when you put it down because the bottom the the EP is very convex and "domes" outward.  Carelessly putting it down could scratch this inner lens.

8 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

17mm T4 Nagler is the best EP I have ever owned.

Try a 17mm ES-92.  No field curvature, no edge of field astigmatism, at least as pinpoint stars on axis, no finickiness holding the view with eyeglasses, longer eye relief, and 10 degrees wider.  I've repeated compared them and retired the T4 to my 2nd tier collection of eyepieces that may end up being sold if they don't get used enough.  I only keep it around for use on the ED72 that really doesn't like the weight or lever arm of the ES-92.  The Dob has no issues with it until I get below 25 degrees or so elevation.

On 24/04/2018 at 02:59, Louis D said:

Try a 17mm ES-92.  No field curvature, no edge of field astigmatism, at least as pinpoint stars on axis, no finickiness holding the view with eyeglasses, longer eye relief, and 10 degrees wider.  I've repeated compared them and retired the T4 to my 2nd tier collection of eyepieces that may end up being sold if they don't get used enough.  I only keep it around for use on the ED72 that really doesn't like the weight or lever arm of the ES-92.  The Dob has no issues with it until I get below 25 degrees or so elevation.

Thanks. I shall investigate ( and sounds expensive....!)

18 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Thanks. I shall investigate ( and sounds expensive....!)

The ES 92's are currently just a little less expensive than the Nagler T4's in the UK.

I'd like to try them, I've read a lot of positive things about them.

I did enjoy the Nagler T4 22mm when I owned it though :smiley:

The ES 92 degree are very nice eyepieces, think I’ve looked through the 17mm, very comfortable to use too.

I’ve had both 17 and 22mm T4s and have very fond memories of them. Ultimately they are a smidge behind the Ethos I think but are so much more compact that they are much more suitable for travelling; I recall taking one on holiday where I ended up being over the hand luggage weight limit and it ended up in my coat pocket. Would have struggled to do that with a 21mm Ethos ;) 

The eye placement is a little more sensitive but with the eye guard set correctly I did not have any issues. You can also fit the eye placement guide if it is really a problem.

Archived