Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

James Webb

Pig

My prediction......Space X will do a few more Heavy launches to fully prove and validate the system, then as a 'cost saving measure' NASA jump ship from the Ariane launch platform and then move over to Elon who will offer the launch for free.  That will then cause a few more delays as they now have to integrate with a new launch vehicle, so expect JWST to be launched sometime around 2023.

The statistic on the James Webb are jaw dropping.  The pillars of creation alone from Hubble is a lifetime of intrigue.  God only knows what the James Webb will show us.  Its a pleasure that its just around the corner.  

Of course, the danger is that Congress will not agree any more money above the $8bn, in which case then what happens? I know POTUS has declared support for NASA's programme for human expansion, but I think it could still be stopped by Congress...

I agree on the right first time principle though...

2 hours ago, ringz said:

I have given up on this project ever being completed in my lifetime. Northrup Grumman should be replaced by a competent company.

It’s a complex and challenging operation and I agree it has to completed properly...  but the anticipation is a killer ?

So long as it gets up there in my life time, it is worth the wait to get it right, I still remember H.S.T. first light, not that anything will be wrong with the mirrors just

it has to make it to its prescribed placement first.

We saw the sized down  mock up of the James Web Telescope at Kennedy space center,  along with the full size Hubble, its huge but James Webb is bigger :)

Rick M

There are so many complicated, and sequential operations that are required to work flawlessly for this huge instrument to ever become operational, one has to wonder if the story will have a happy ending. I'm not a Doubting Thomas, but Sod's Law will be lurking.       Be one Hell of a Challenge getting a repair mission out there. Might be prudent to unfold the thing in low earth  orbit, then if all's well, tow it out to where it needs to be. Not sure if that is  feasable.

On 2018-03-28 at 10:25, Shelster1973 said:

Agree....one $8 billion firework is not a good thing

teetering on the 10 billion US mark i read recently, unreal! but i cannot wait until it is finally commissioned for use, i will bid for some time on it and show all you fancy imagers here a lesson BWAHAHAHA!!!

Here's a great video covering Webb's launch and deployment sequence, nicely detailed train of events, beautifully animated, i've watched it a few times, far more entertaining than most movies out of Hollywood these days.

Archived