Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What are my Ha options?

kirkster501

Hi all,Been doing some white light solar observing and imaging with Herschel Wedge and love it.

So quite fancy making the move to Ha.

I have a night time scope rig as per signature below and also have a nice ED80 scope.  So, should I use an Etalon and something on this ED80 to achieve my Ha objectives or should I buy a dedicated Lunt Ha scope? I'd rather like to use the ED80 if I could because that doubles up as a dual-rig imaging guiding scope and is also useful for some wider field white light solar as well.

What's your thoughts please?

ED80 at f7.5 would suit a Quark and it's nice red colour will match your car :)

Alternatively as said a Lunt 50 or 60 is a nice scope, I'd go for the LS60 if you can afford it as there is less hassle getting focus for imaging.

There's the Coronado as well but I've had no experience of one.

Really you need both, a Lunt for full disc and a Quark for close ups :rolleyes2:

Dave

To add to the mix I have a TEC140 which is a superb refactor for white light and I bet it would offer a superb view with the Quark on it.  From what i have read, a scope needs very short focal length to deliver a full disk so will cross that bridge at a later date.

Indeed, maybe I will need both.  And that is ultimately doable.  Just want to get going with Ha first so looks like the Quark is a good first step.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Of course, there's the choice of Camera too! Will it give Newton's Rings etc. :p
Solar HA is a war of attrition? lol. To be really "Punk", I'm still pursuing the
"Frankenscope Trail". Thinking seriously of buying an ED80(!) now anyway. ;)

In retrospect, the Quark has a lot going for it (now)? But I'm still entertaining
ideas of a configurable "does-it-all" scope --- Using the "standard" (Lunt 50)
Etalon. One more "throw of the [financial] dice"? lol! Will I *never* learn?   :D

All this at a Solar Minimum? :eek:

30 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

A little monkey on my back says just wait and go all out for the Lunt 80.....

I built a 100mm Ha scope...... but I miss the fine detail ‘whole disc’ views with a normal a smaller Ha scope double stacked to bring the bandwidth down to 0.5An.

Although the prom action on the 100mm is phenomenal ?

Paul

I had to make the same choice a few weeks ago. Should i go for a Lunt, PST or a Quark?.

I decided to go with Quark simply because i'd read a few too many problems with the objective on Lunt, PST.

Ive always been impressed with images through the Quark. I also didnt want yet another scope taking up room in the house.

With the Quark, i can use my 70mm Travel scope, which i already use for WL with my Hershel wedge.

Your ED80, will do everything you want it to do in both WL and Ha.

I thought my Quark was expensive. Ive just checked out the prices of a Lunt.

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having owned both a Lunt 60 and now a Quark I would go for the Quark... for both the cost and views, it would also work very nicely in your Tak ?and if you not happy sell it and go for for the Lunt .... then you will buy another Quark ? I have also got the little WO66  to achieve a full disc,  not really needed but it is nice to have for an eclipse. However, a Herschel wedge can always be used for the eclipse.

The Lunt 80 is a very very nice solar scope though and if it is anything like the 90mm Coranodo then it will definitely be worth having.

On 2/22/2018 at 10:46, kirkster501 said:

I have a night time scope rig as per signature below and also have a nice ED80 scope.  So, should I use an Etalon and something on this ED80 to achieve my Ha objectives or should I buy a dedicated Lunt Ha scope? I'd rather like to use the ED80 if I could because that doubles up as a dual-rig imaging guiding scope and is also useful for some wider field white light solar as well.

I own both (a Lunt 50Ha and a Quark which I use on either my Tak FS60 or my Tak FS102). So I would say, it depends on your lifestyle. In reality 9 times out of 10 I use the Lunt. I have limited time available during the day as I work, therefore I need to minimise set-up time. It takes a matter of seconds to lift the Lunt on its Vixen Porta out of the back door and I'm observing. The Quark gives exquisite views, but takes a few mins to set up and get to temp.

Archived