Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42/M43/NGC1977 from Kelling - come to daddy!! )

SteveL

A vast improvement on last years Orion Neb shot from Kelling, so I`m happy with this one.

I`ll be happier still when I can shoot this from my garden and do it the many hour session it deserves with 600s subs for the fainter stuff, some 300s for the mid, and some 45s ones for the core. Roll on winter!

OTA: NS8GPS @ f/2 (Hyperstar v3)

Guiding: William Optics ZenithStar 66 SD + DSI-C + PHD

RGB Imaging: QHY8 + MaximDL, 20×60s + 20x300s, IDAS

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: ImagesPlus + PSCS2 + Noel Carboni’s AstroTools

(Note: Updated image, the funky QHY8 shaped reflection has been cloned out, and the larger version is a lot smoother in the darker areas)

(Click on image for larger version)

m42_20080925_wip2_800.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve, this image is very monitor dependent. My monitor at home is pretty well calibrated and everything looks a bit over blown. However, on my work monitor it looks perfect. My work monitor isn't great though and badly clips the black point. It's the same with M45. I know you've done a lot of work on calibrating you monitor but I'm not convinced it's right - may be ok for publishing but maybe not for web presentation. Would be very interested to know what yfronto makes of it since he's into monitor calibrations as well.

I wouldn't comment if it weren't for the fact that this image is so good

Hope you don't mind me mentioning it

Steve, this image is very monitor dependent. My monitor at home is pretty well calibrated and everything looks a bit over blown. However, on my work monitor it looks perfect. My work monitor isn't great though and badly clips the black point. It's the same with M45. I know you've done a lot of work on calibrating you monitor but I'm not convinced it's right - may be ok for publishing but maybe not for web presentation. Would be very interested to know what yfronto makes of it since he's into monitor calibrations as well.

Calibration is a great standard... everyone has their own :smiley:

I have used the company's Spyder 2 pro on my laptop screen, my second screen at work, and my two photonvision 2 screen at home on my desktop machine. I recalibrate all the monitors whenever the software says its been a while since it was last calibrated (2 months? 3?). The colour balance, contrast and brightness I see on my own screens here on my laptop and at home on my desktop is also what I see when I print it out on my Kodak AIO 5300 (on Kodak paper) at home and the HUGE (A0) Epson printer we have at work, which is also what I saw when my Rosette was POTM in S@N Magazine.

So long as everything that I use for display shows pretty much the same result (or as close as you can, given the different display types), I`m cool with that.

On the other hand, the image above is not as "contrasty" and saturated as I would have liked (compared to last years efforts), so may have another go at this one later in the week.

Looking foward to viewing this one on my Monitor when i get home,the works one does show it down slightly on contrast, but it is only a tad down , this is still an amazing image ,Steve can you clone out that reflection when u do a final process.

Rog .

And i would like a print of it when you have please for my obs wall . just let me know how much ,

First in there heheheh

Rog

Archived