SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Vixen Scope or mount

I’m in the process of recommissioning my RoR observatory. I bolted down the pier last night and setup a newly acquired used EQ6 with my new VC200L to have a look at Jupiter.  I could just look at this scope and mount all day though, beautiful.

IMG_7218.jpeg

• Like 9

The story of the ED102S goes on, thanks again in good part to SGL and its members… Today I came home to find this was in the mail

spacer.png

An original vinyl handle that our fellow member @Franklin generously donated for the full restoration of the venerable ED102, and a pair of rings that I sourced out of sheer luck in an Italian shop as "new old stock".

The screws that @Franklin had included helped me figuring out those I needed for the plate, and after a dash at the hardware shop I managed to put this together:

spacer.png

I then realised that putting the rings on would not be easy: Vixen did not at the time believe in split rings! I did not feel confident enough to do what I was supposed to do – either remove the focuser, or unscrew the objective cell – so I went for the ignorant man's solution: I took off the focuser knobs and huffing and puffing got the rings on the tube…

It was an anxious five minutes, but it's an understatement to say that I am pleased with the end result. To celebrate, we went out for a double stars romp…

spacer.png 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A couple of outdoor day shots of my c1982 80mm F15 Vixen/SBS achromat, originally sold in France..

It's got some cosmetic marks on the tube courtesy of the previous owner, but the lens is A1 and showed some lovely detail on Jupiter last week, up to c160x (Tak Abbe 12mm with WO 1.6x barlow nosepiece).

N.B. This scope has a replacement  Crayford style focuser. I'd prefer to put an original Vixen R&P unit back on it, so if anyone has a spare in their spare parts drawer, do please get in touch? Thanks!

Dave20231109_102552.thumb.jpg.2150cd4e704545aadbcc3df90096e579.jpg

20231109_102607.thumb.jpg.9a3e028ac7df0ac59234f632dd48858c.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
Additional text info
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Last instalment of the ED102S story… Thanks to Justin, Tim, and a couple astro-friends in Italy, I've managed to put together the complete set-up as it might have come out of Vixen factory at the turn of the century: tube (in pristine condition optically), rings, plate, handle, original 1.25" visual back and 6x30 finder, all completed with a nice Baader T2 prism (acting also a fine-adjustment focuser) mounted on a now-complete and working GP-DX. For good measure, I have found and bought "new old stock" a spare Mt-1 motor with clutch (white, but it would go under the green cover, so… ). And for when I'll take the set-up DSO-hunting, I have a 7x50 finder and a nice 2" visual back and diagonal. 

Thought you might want to see it. Won't bother you with this scope any further … except if I find the half-pillar I'm seeking, that is ;D

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2023 at 23:39, radiofm74 said:

Vixen did not at the time believe in split rings!

And they still don't but it's quite safe to unscrew the cell from the tube to slip these rings on/off rather than undo the three focuser fixing bolts. A few years after the production of your ED102S Vixen began using thread-on focusers.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I have to share my Mini Vixen Fest going on.
Two Hal130 tripods, the Porta for my Ha Solar and the 130 riser and my super (Not Vixen) 
Rowan AZ75 mount.
All we need is the GP mount showing its face in a future shot.

IMG_7681.jpeg.f15509e4a94e53136fd1fb5e961d3f64.thumb.jpeg.aa708d61050ce1ff633be985407b4c0b.jpeg

Does it show I like Vixen, no of course not, the two 103 scopes are not shown!
Perhaps one day a nice APZ and an equatorial for good measure perhaps....hmm

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Alan White said:

I have to share my Mini Vixen Fest going on.
Two Hal130 tripods, the Porta for my Ha Solar and the 130 riser and my super (Not Vixen) 
Rowan AZ75 mount.
All we need is the GP mount showing its face in a future shot.

IMG_7681.jpeg.f15509e4a94e53136fd1fb5e961d3f64.thumb.jpeg.aa708d61050ce1ff633be985407b4c0b.jpeg

Does it show I like Vixen, no of course not, the two 103 scopes are not shown!
Perhaps one day a nice APZ and an equatorial for good measure perhaps....hmm

Does the base of the AZ75 fit inside the base of the half pier or have you made the base of the AZ75 flat for it to fit flush?

thanks

17 hours ago, Deadlake said:

Does the base of the AZ75 fit inside the base of the half pier or have you made the base of the AZ75 flat for it to fit flush?

thanks

Removed the cap head screws so it is flat.
The M10 bolt has had the spacer washer shortened to get a more solid grip and boy is it a solid grip.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Removed the cap head screws so it is flat.
The M10 bolt has had the spacer washer shortened to get a more solid grip and boy is it a solid grip.

Vixen ASG CB90 would work with this as well, good to know thanks!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Day 2 owning a Vixen Super Polaris mount. The tripod stand arrived from Japan this morning & I’ve attached some legs cannibalised from a Chinese clone. Would like to check I understand how to set the latitude. This shifted  after counterweights and the ota were attached until I tightened the three small Allen screws as well as the large central Allen screw and the black adjustment knob. I can see the horizontal screw (to the left) must be for fine adjustment. Do I unrighteousness the black  knob and turn the horizontal screw for fine adjustment during polar alignment? Tips and instructions much appreciated!

IMG_1220.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Saganite said:

My Vixen ED103 lives most of the time now on the SP mount and tripod.

IMG_3243.JPG

Utterly classic looking setup Steve..but with absolutely top tier optics!😊🤩

Dave

• Thanks 1

Not sure whether these count - a pair of Vixen telescopes perhaps.  I have owned these 30x125s for about five years. They are lovely for summer views of the Milky Way from my fairly dark mid Wales skies, though I tend to use them more often in the spring to catch galaxies in Coma, Virgo, Leo and U Major.  I don't really use them as much as they deserve (normally use dobsonians), but I like having them around for the occassional relaxed tour.

DSC00474.JPG

DSC00477.JPG

DSC00483.JPG

Edited by Bodkin
typo
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Bodkin said:

Not sure whether these count - a pair of Vixen telescopes perhaps.  I have owned these 30x125s for about five years. They are lovely for summer views of the Milky Way from my fairly dark mid Wales skies, though I tend to use them more often in the spring to catch galaxies in Coma, Virgo, Leo and U Major.  I don't really use them as much as they deserve (normally use dobsonians), but I like having them around for the occassional relaxed tour.

DSC00474.JPG

DSC00477.JPG

DSC00483.JPG

Ooh very nice :thumbsup:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Saganite said:

My Vixen ED103 lives most of the time now on the SP mount and tripod.

IMG_3243.JPG

Looks lovely Steve!  Has your better half noticed the base of her kitchen towel holder has gone missing?

• Haha 2

On 17/02/2024 at 21:36, woldsman said:

Day 2 owning a Vixen Super Polaris mount. The tripod stand arrived from Japan this morning & I’ve attached some legs cannibalised from a Chinese clone. Would like to check I understand how to set the latitude. This shifted  after counterweights and the ota were attached until I tightened the three small Allen screws as well as the large central Allen screw and the black adjustment knob. I can see the horizontal screw (to the left) must be for fine adjustment. Do I unrighteousness the black  knob and turn the horizontal screw for fine adjustment during polar alignment? Tips and instructions much appreciated!

IMG_1220.jpeg

Hi @woldsman

Om most nights, you should only have to adjust for latitude with this one:

image.png.eb673a39dd94c831c24ce91651c578ec.png

The bolts and screw on the side plate are only really used for large scale movement or moving the whole shebang into an alt-az setup.

2 hours ago, Pixies said:

Hi @woldsman

Om most nights, you should only have to adjust for latitude with this one:

image.png.eb673a39dd94c831c24ce91651c578ec.png

The bolts and screw on the side plate are only really used for large scale movement or moving the whole shebang into an alt-az setup.

Many thanks for replying. Although the screw fits the thread I doubt it’s an actual altitude bolt. Planning to replace it and hoping it will make fine adjustment easier.

11 hours ago, woldsman said:

Many thanks for replying. Although the screw fits the thread I doubt it’s an actual altitude bolt. Planning to replace it and hoping it will make fine adjustment easier.

image.png.b209206b49d80d72b3a9fd144cb353be.png

5 minutes ago, woldsman said:

Yes, I need one of those things. Think they are called altitude t bolts. 

You won't be able to get an original unless it's salvaged from broken down SP. There are machine workers who advertise on Ebay who will make you a replica bolt with the Tommy Bar but you would have to send them the specs. Any bolt with the right thread and length will work, eye-bolt are good and can be turned via the eye, that's probably the cheapest option.

On 18/02/2024 at 09:34, Bodkin said:

DSC00474.JPG

DSC00477.JPG

DSC00483.JPG

That’s nice 🙂👍