Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Vixen Scope or mount

I really like the APZ. I have had mine for about 3 years and it has been my most used mount. I recently bought an AP from Franklin which is also a great mount, however now that I have sold my FS-60Q I think it is borderline in terms of load for the FC-100DZ and binoviewers. I also typically don’t use EQ mounts as I like my binoviewers to stay level.

As a test I added the motors and counterweight bar from the AP to the APZ and while it doesn’t automatically track I was able to set tracking at 0.8x and slewing at 0.6x and keep my thumb on up or down on the controller to keep Jupiter centered. Could be a decent solution for me. I also contacted Vixen to see if the APZ with motors is still rated at 8KG, but no response as of yet. Their brochure states the motors are an option for the APZ and there is no mention of it reducing the payload capability so I am hopeful it is the equatorial wedge that is the weaker point in the AP config. Either way they are both great mounts.

IMG_1353.jpeg

Edited by astro_al
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, astro_al said:

I also contacted Vixen to see if the APZ with motors is still rated at 8KG, but no response as of yet.

I believe, with the motors, the AP/APZ has a rating of 6kg. It's not the mechanics of the mount but the delicacy of the motors. There's an in-depth look at the AP/APZ in a review from Japan. “Vixen Advanced Polaris” – Great ! The Legendary Equatorial Mount (1)|Astronomical Reflexions

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Franklin said:

I believe, with the motors, the AP/APZ has a rating of 6kg.

I guess I was hoping that because the AP has a rating of 6kg with or without the motors that it was more to do with the mechanics. If it is 6kg then I will go back to the manual config and find a new home for the AP. I need 8KG for the Lunt and binoviewers. 

Edited by astro_al

24 minutes ago, astro_al said:

I guess I was hoping that because the AP has a rating of 6kg with or without the motors that it was more to do with the mechanics. If it is 6kg then I will go back to the manual config and find a new home for the AP. I need 8KG for the Lunt and binoviewers. 

2024-02-25 21.49.24.png

16 minutes ago, astro_al said:

Yes, 8KG in its default configuration with the manual controls. My hope is that it is still 8KG when the manual controls are swapped for the motors. 

It would seem a backward step if the payload should change simply by changing to motors. It doesn't make any sense! I would imagine the weakest point would be the tripod choice?

Edited by mikeDnight

4 minutes ago, astro_al said:

My hope is that it is still 8KG when the manual controls are swapped for the motors.

If you take a gander at the link above, this guy has a C8 on the APZ with motors and tells you what he thinks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, astro_al said:

Yes, 8KG in its default configuration with the manual controls. My hope is that it is still 8KG when the manual controls are swapped for the motors. 

A point to note is that the EQ, AP version is given a 6kg rating regardless of motors or manual and that the AZ, APZ version has 8kg manual and yet 6kg with the motors. Vixen's ratings have always been on the cautious side and so too are Takahashi mounts. They claim their ratings are "Photographic" ratings and I think there's truth in this. Of course the truth will always lay with experience and I have seen plenty of 7kg GP's carrying 10kg+ for visual and still performed well.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

It would seem a backward step if the payload should change simply by changing to motors. It doesn't make any sense! I would imagine the weakest point would be the tripod choice?

Agreed!

23 minutes ago, Franklin said:

A point to note is that the EQ, AP version is given a 6kg rating regardless of motors or manual and that the AZ, APZ version has 8kg manual and yet 6kg with the motors. Vixen's ratings have always been on the cautious side and so too are Takahashi mounts. They claim their ratings are "Photographic" ratings and I think there's truth in this. Of course the truth will always lay with experience and I have seen plenty of 7kg GP's carrying 10kg+ for visual and still performed well.

Absolutely true!  This was my first FS128 on a Vixen GP and Aluminium tripod made by Peter Drew. From memory, the FS128 weighed around 17lb, yet the GP really was solid for visual, far beyond expectation. The tripod can make a world of difference!

2019-02-0116_55_39.png.9ce46e0e51fa956f679dc76d25493a67.png

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, astro_al said:

I think it is borderline in terms of load for the FC-100DZ and binoviewers

I've used it successfully with a 100DC and Binoviewers. With a good tripod this mount can take 6kg easily in my opinion and is very steady. I've even had a Mewlon + Binoviewers on it and found it surprisingly stable. This leads me to suspect that the limit may be due more to the motors than the mechanics. But this is simply my thoughts. I have no evidence for this!

Malcolm 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

I've even had a Mewlon + Binoviewers on it and found it surprisingly stable.

Really?! A couple of years ago, I tested out my Mewlon 180 on a Super Polaris. My mind immediately plays Elton John when I think about how well that worked... "It seems to me you lived your life like a candle in the wind...!" But I was using a pretty light tripod.

• Haha 1

A couple of Vixen mounts from my past.

A GP in black from when Vixen used to make gear for Celestron:

takvixeq01.JPG.df84eacbf02644fd515aa616dc525609.JPG

And a GP-DX with my 130mm F/9.2 triplet on board:

lzos130vix02.JPG.ea09ffe50186559ab8917d9b3fefaf75.JPG

• Like 7

8 hours ago, The60mmKid said:

Really?! A couple of years ago, I tested out my Mewlon 180 on a Super Polaris. My mind immediately plays Elton John when I think about how well that worked... "It seems to me you lived your life like a candle in the wind...!" But I was using a pretty light tripod.

I'll give it another go in case my memory is playing tricks. Wouldn't want to put out misleading information. 

Malcolm 

8 hours ago, John said:

A couple of Vixen mounts from my past.

A GP in black from when Vixen used to make gear for Celestron:

takvixeq01.JPG.df84eacbf02644fd515aa616dc525609.JPG

And a GP-DX with my 130mm F/9.2 triplet on board:

lzos130vix02.JPG.ea09ffe50186559ab8917d9b3fefaf75.JPG

This Lzos is a great refractor, I've been trying to get one for a long time. Recently, I missed one, it was available on the German buy/sell. In Mr. Yoshida's ranking of planetary telescopes, it scored 85 points, placing it higher than TEC 140 and Zeis APQ130.

Edited by Mumia
  • Like 1

@astro_al, @The60mmKid, I realise this is now slightly off topic but just wanted to clarify with the caveat that everyone will have a different opinion on what's usable or acceptable.

I've tried quick experiments with 1.25", 2" eyepieces, and binoviewers. In all cases, the tap on the eyepiece vibrations die down in roughly 1 second, which I think is pretty good. Helped, I presume, by the short tube and all the weight concentrated in one place (the back end).

Ideally I would have a heavier counterweight and tighten the friction locks more for the 2" and the binoviewer case, but I find the setup usable. But certainly would not want to load the mount up any further! I do believe it's right on the edge of the mount's limit.

If you want me to try any other experiments, please feel free to PM me.

Malcolm 

20240226_085816.thumb.jpg.fc134e1b8987c7f01537f63bf6c1b37d.jpg20240226_090153.thumb.jpg.4a9951d4758ef9ed5c858c07985a022b.jpg20240226_090649.thumb.jpg.dcdfb6a624dee6f72a2cfa9504ec09d5.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

@astro_al, @The60mmKid, I realise this is now slightly off topic but just wanted to clarify with the caveat that everyone will have a different opinion on what's usable or acceptable.

I've tried quick experiments with 1.25", 2" eyepieces, and binoviewers. In all cases, the tap on the eyepiece vibrations die down in roughly 1 second, which I think is pretty good. Helped, I presume, by the short tube and all the weight concentrated in one place (the back end).

Ideally I would have a heavier counterweight and tighten the friction locks more for the 2" and the binoviewer case, but I find the setup usable. But certainly would not want to load the mount up any further! I do believe it's right on the edge of the mount's limit.

Malcolm 

20240226_085816.thumb.jpg.fc134e1b8987c7f01537f63bf6c1b37d.jpg20240226_090153.thumb.jpg.4a9951d4758ef9ed5c858c07985a022b.jpg20240226_090649.thumb.jpg.dcdfb6a624dee6f72a2cfa9504ec09d5.jpg

I admire your courage.

• Haha 1

Thank you @MalcolmM, the pictures are very helpful. I have a Mewlon 180 on order so very relevant  (ETA between August and December 😞)

I got a response from Vixen this morning and they confirm what @Franklin said. Adding the motors to the APZ drops the load capacity from 8KG to 6KG. As such I will be putting the manual controls back on the APZ as I need the 8KG limit for the Lunt.

The FC-100DZ and binoviewers total about 5.2KG and have been fine on both the AP and APZ with the motors. I haven’t tried anything heavier and now that Vixen say 6KG with motors then I won’t. The AP is a nice tracking mount for the FC-100DZ, but in the end I prefer the alt-az format of the APZ. I have an AZ-EQ6 on a permanent pier in alt-az mode in the back garden and use that for a tracking mount. The APZ is my grab and go mount for the front garden. I was hoping to give it a little upgrade but never mind. Thanks everyone that provided input. 

Edited by astro_al
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

Malcolm 

20240226_085816.thumb.jpg.fc134e1b8987c7f01537f63bf6c1b37d.jpg

Yikes! I can hear the little AP yelping from here......Help me.....Help me.....😁.

Seriously though, as long as you're not over 6kg it will work but as the magnification increases so will the jitters. I've always tried to not put more than 50% of whatever payload is given in the specs but maybe I'm just fussy in my old age.

8 hours ago, astro_al said:

Adding the motors to the APZ drops the load capacity from 8KG to 6KG

Interesting. I wonder do the motors on the AP drop the load down from 6kg. If that were the case I really shouldn't put the Mewlon on the AP!

That's a long wait for the Mewlon! But it'll be worth it :) it's a really lovely scope!

Malcolm 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Franklin said:

Seriously though, as long as you're not over 6kg it will work

Emmm, slightly over 6kg :(

I read somewhere once that Vixen typically understate load capacity and I took that to heart. Particularly as I'm visual only and not after very accurate tracking. But all the advice here would suggest I maybe should not burden the little AP with the Mewlon. Certainly not loaded up with 2" eyepieces or Binoviewers!

Malcolm 

5 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

But all the advice here would suggest I maybe should not burden the little AP with the Mewlon. Certainly not loaded up with 2" eyepieces or Binoviewers!

You're not going to break the mount, it just won't be as stable as it would be with a lighter scope. Also, I'd use a power supply rather than the internal batteries.