Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Vixen Scope or mount

2 hours ago, Saganite said:

Yes , it works beautifully.  The chap from whom I bought it had made a little cardboard battery pack holding 6 AA batteries and to my astonishment it tracked very accurately right where you can see it for nine hours, the setting circle graduations being exactly in line with the elapsed time.  Later that evening I took it into the garden aligned it North with a compass and had a very enjoyable couple of hours. 

There are 5vDC to 9vDC center negative, 5.5x2.1 plug, step-up cables available from China which are made to power guitar effects pedals from a rechargeable USB power-bank that also work with these old Vixen controllers.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Saganite said:

The eyepiece travels longitudinally, in effect, backwards and forwards along the tube.  It now runs very smoothly after a little fettling , and is really very good.  The first time I have seen anything like this.  This scope I believe, was only supplied to the French Astro market, but I could be wrong.

IMG_3098.JPG

The 6in version of this was also made by Vixen for Celestron in black. So it's possible these scopes were more widely available.   Photos here -

Just now, Stephenstargazer said:

Congratulations! these are excellent cats for either imaging or visual. I had a VMC200L for years but bought a VC200L when the chance arose. Never regretted. A true flat field that works with every eyepiece I have.

I read your posts prior to buying it 😊👌🏻

• Like 1

Good looking scope the VC200L, even on my wee old run down LXD75. The whole thing has been on point tonight, centering perfectly some easy targets (m57 m27 m13, planets, alberio) within a 15mm Meade EP every time 

Edited to add, 12:1 focuser knob fitted today also, cheers Tim.@Franklin

IMG_7852.jpeg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Good looking scope the VC200L, even on my wee old run down LXD75. The whole thing has been on point tonight, centering perfectly some easy targets (m57 m27 m13, planets, alberio) within a 15mm Meade EP every time 

Edited to add, 12:1 focuser knob fitted today also, cheers Tim.@Franklin

IMG_7852.jpeg

I'm curious to know what its visual performance is on the Moon and Planets. let us know

15 minutes ago, Fedele said:

I'm curious to know what its visual performance is on the Moon and Planets. let us know

I wont really be able to give you a very meaningful report.  I'm almost exclusively an imager with scopes, and I only occasional take a look.  I was able to get very nice tight diffraction spikes visually on vega last night, and I could separate the ring passing in front of saturn quite easily.  The moon was very low when I saw it, but again looked plentiful in detail.  I was able to magnify Jupiter to 120x easily, but wasnt able to get more mag, because my eyepiece case was in the bedroom and I didnt fancy waking up the other half to grab a shorter EP.  I have no doubt it would have taken more mag easily.  I could see the bands easily and a minute amount of detail within it.  The scope had been outside for several hours at this point and was well cooled.  I chose this scope because the mirror doesnt move unlike the 260, plus it's more suited to imaging.  I dont plan to image with it until into the new year.

On 25/06/2023 at 21:53, F15Rules said:

Here are a few shots of my 1980s Vixen made, SBS branded 80mm F15 achromat.

A review of the Vixen 80mm F/15, if you haven't already seen it.

Vixen NP POLARIS 80L, Vixen 80/1200, 80 f15 achromatic refractor, Vixen New polaris refractor, Vintage Vixen 80L, LV vixen eyepieces, Vixen Lanthanum, (dark-star.it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just had my recently purchased FL102S out for the first time doing some daytime terrestrial viewing. Also just back in from a short session viewing Jupiter, Saturn & the moon before the clouds finally blanked everything out. Maybe I’m a little “starstruck” at the moment but I believe the optics in this scope is something special 

IMG_0397.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Spot on Franklin!!

Your lovely FL102S is the earlier F/8.8 fl900mm version and with the swivel finder on the focuser and the additional finder shoe on the tube dates it to around 1985. This model continued till 1991 and then superseded in 1992 by the F9 fl920mm version. It's a classic!

• Like 3

Just now, Alan White said:

From our favourite Japanese site I presume?

Indeed. I thought I'd got a bargain when I won the auction for £230 but it cost a further £250 in shipping and customs charges. Still, it's what I originally wanted and now the SXD2 has sold so all is good.

• Like 3

On 24/10/2023 at 15:49, Franklin said:

A wonderful and engrossing read,Tim!

Thanks for posting.

Dave

• Thanks 1