NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Live rocket launch

Peco4321

4 hours ago, Ricochet said:

I think I might have seen it. Mag 2.5 sounds about right for the object I saw, which was a satellite like object, following the same path as the ISS, which didn't match up to anything on Orbittrack. The problem (aside from the relative faintness) was that it was something like 12 or 13 minutes behind the ISS. I was expecting it to be a bit closer and was just about to head back inside when I noticed it moving across the sky.

Sounds right. I was expecting it to be faint and to be up to 20 minutes behind the ISS.

I think it might have been a bit too low down to be visible from the Midlands

Edited by Stub Mandrel

I missed the passover last night, I was out and looking.
The Badgers arrived a few moments before the ISS, so they were observed and I had to stand very still.
Timing as they say is everything and last night the Badgers were 40 minutes later than normal.

What SpaceX has done is truly amazing. So many times you hear the complaint that so and so is just building off something someone else did.

Well, l cant remember anyone bringing their booster back and reusing it again and again.

I'm going to have to keep watch out for a Falcon 9 Heavy getting launched. That will be the one to take my grandkids to see. Something really loud with lots of smoke and fire.

They were out of town for this one.

15 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Well, l cant remember anyone bringing their booster back and reusing it again and again.

True, but in principle it isn't hugely dfferent from landing a probe on Mars or the Moon - crosswinds being the biggest difference.

The Starlink 7 launch tonight at 01:25 UTC looks like it'll pass right in front of Jupiter early in the morning here in Copenhagen, Denmark. Weather does not look promising though!

PassSkyChart2.ashx?passID=41803&size=800&lat=55.678&lng=12.5326&loc=Frederiksberg&alt=0&tz=CET&cul=en&showUnlit=true

Click anywhere on the chart to return to whole sky view

Crossing my fingers!

Victor

EDIT: Sorry, I don't know what happened to the sky chart images from Heavens above...

Edited by Victor Boesen
Images not showing

23 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Must be a lot less strict requirements for a Starlink launch. I would have bet it would have been scrubbed with the weather we had.

Yes I heard about the bad weather. Either SpaceX are very confident with their rockets (despite the first stage used landed for the 5th time) or the cost of a failed launch doesn't matter much compared to the money lost because of a scrub. Who knows!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder if the crew know what's going on outside?  It must be a real downer if you don't know and you see the hatch open.  Even if they do know, they must be aware that there's a very narrow launch window and any problem has the potential to write off the launch.

James

6 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I wonder if the crew know what's going on outside?  It must be a real downer if you don't know and you see the hatch open.  Even if they do know, they must be aware that there's a very narrow launch window and any problem has the potential to write off the launch.

James

Think they've already cancelled it once.

Dave