NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi There

Mutley

Hello everyone,

Thought I'd introduce myself with a brief history of my interest in astronomy. I think it all started when I was about 6 with the Apollo program. Got a second hand 4" reflector when I was about 10 or 12 (homebuilt I think), which I used a bit on the moon, and Jupiter I seem to remember. Then interest waned until 2000 when I got a 10" Orion Optics Europa. I struggled on with this for years. I wasn't impressed with the build quality. The finder scope didn't fit properly, Chinese built EQ5 mount not really up to the job. After a good while I discovered the secondary slowly sagged downwards, and the primary slopped around quite a bit depending on telescope orientation, so collimation was a pretty much pointless operation. After quiet a bit of filing, re-gluing and tightening finally got it working properly. And buying a TelRAd and some decent EP's revolutionised my observing sessions.

I traded up early this year. Now have a Lukehurst 20" Dob with Sky Commander digital setting circles. I keep it assembled in a shed in my back garden so it only takes me about 10 mins to roll it out and get it aligned.

I live in Bromsgrove, Worcs. Nasty sky glow from Birmingham in the North and Redditch in the East, but not bad some nights...This weekend looks promising.

Sorry, not so brief. :smiley:

Thanks all for the words of welcome, and the dastardly puns (enough already). The Orion was a lovely 'scope once I'd finished fettling, gave me some really memorable views. I just traded up 'cos I got interested in galaxy spotting and NEEDED something with a bit more oomph - and the astrophotography route didn't really appeal. The new scope hasn't disapointed. I'll review it soon.

Hello Mutley.

I live in Nottingham not far from where you picked your Lukehurst scope from.

I was thinking off getting one myself but couldn't raise the cash at the time.

Would love to see your reports on it.

Hi. Mutley, and welcome from me too.

When I saw the name I thought I would slip a pun or two in, but I was beaten to it.

Just as well I suppose, as I'm sure you were expecting them.

That big Dob. sounds an exciting prospect, I hope you can wheel it to Star Parties, I may get a looksee. :smiley:

Ron.

Archived