Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tec 140 binoscope anyone?

Just announced by Yuri with some mocked up photos. Would weigh a fair bit I would think. Also he mentioned that they would be mated with the panther tts-160 mount as shown in the pics.

APM are also looking at doing large binoscopes.

110 bino first sketch.JPG

tts w bino.JPG

110 bino w ems prototype.JPG

Bet that would be something to look through, and ideal on the TTS mount. Seems like a fairly simple implementation although I guess it would need to have some method of setting IPD easily. Wonder if focusing would remain individual?

I don't fancy having to wear that suit to operate it though ;) 

That would be a kingly binocular!  Considering a TEC140, with the weak pound, is the best part of £7000 on its own, then unless Yuri was offering some sort of deal or incentive (and why would he when he has a waiting list as long as his arm for a TEC140?) you are going to be looking at a £17-20000 pair of bins!   Only Roman Abramovich need apply.....

No problem, how many would you like?  :icon_biggrin: I already have a 150mm binoscope unit on a "Panther" style mount, alright, its not made with TEC optics but there would probably not be an enormous difference at the lower powers that big binoscopes are best at.

IMG_9269.JPG

37 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Not so fast...!  Mr O'Donoghue has bought Per's TEC140 and it is here in my office as I speak. Out in the observatory I have another. Hmmmm....

Olly

I can lend you a hack saw if you need one Olly to get your DIY TEC 140 Binoscope project underway. But don't forget to measure twice and cut once ,as otherwise it could be an expensive mistake??

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Tubby Bear said:

I would like a pair, but i dread to think how much they would cost.

$14000.  Cheaper than I thought.  But considering the crap exchange rate to the dollar, and the import duties of 20% plus, that is some serious coin for a pair of bins.

17 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

$14000.  Cheaper than I thought.  But considering the crap exchange rate to the dollar, and the import duties of 20% plus, that is some serious coin for a pair of bins.

Are you sure thats right ?

I thought the design of these was a doublet objective pair rather than a triplet ??

To keep costs down. Similar to the APM 140 doublet. Theres not many nutters out there who would pay $14k for a pair of binocs / binoscope.....

1 hour ago, Tubby Bear said:

Are you sure thats right ?

I thought the design of these was a doublet objective pair rather than a triplet ??

To keep costs down. Similar to the APM 140 doublet. Theres not many nutters out there who would pay $14k for a pair of binocs / binoscope.....

The Nikon WX series of 50mm binoculars at $6000 each have apparently sold out!  :eek:

Archived