Another Horsey First

Paul73

Hi Folks 

I'll keep this one short. I have just come in from getting my first ever view of the elusive Horse Head nebula. Elated and frozen! I've been after this target for several years. Not as long as John, but it's been a while coming.

The sky was very transparent with no lights visible from my back garden. M42 & 43 were outrageously good, almost 3D.

The best combination with my 16" f4 OOUK Dob was; Televue Plossl 20mm and an old Lumicon Hb filter. The narrow field of the Plossl kept the dazzling Alnitak out off the way and seemed to help concentrate the mind. I tried with an Astronomik Hb filter first which is a lovely gentle filter, leaving the stars relatively untouched in my scope. I tried everything and got inclusive sightings of the notch. Wobbling the Dob and quick focus/de focus helped. Then I tried the Lumicon (old - from John last year). This is a comparitive sledge hammer of a filter which dims everything but left the nebula standing proud. Still not obvious, but clearly there, maybe as a result of the hour of observing / searching with the Astronomik. It is possible that the Lumicon needs 16" to come on song. Possibly a bit too severe for smaller scopes.

I can now feel my feet, so am heading back outside for a bit of galaxy action!

Paul

Very well done, what makes this repoort all the more incredible is John hit the jackpot on the same evening, so it was very clear more or less across the UK, Great to here the news, grey here, no horsey, though there is one in the field down the way.

Alan

Awesome job Paul! It certainly was a lovely transparent night last night, glad you got the best out of it! :)

EDIT I shall make sure I hang onto my old Lumicon Hb filter for when I get a decent size scope again :) 

Great news Paul - well done mate ! :icon_biggrin:

"Elated and Frozen" - I know the feeling as I'm sure do many of us astronomers. Hard to explain why we do the hobby to others but I think we know why when we have sessions like this :wink:

Archived