Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

M Astronomy

Imaging with a Star Adventurer

I'm using the Horizon tripod ATM but have used flimsier ones which worked OK with camera lenses up to 300mm and WO Star 71 and WOZ61.

The main problem was movement caused by  the mirror wobbling it this showed on brighter stars as a wiggly line so had to use the mirror  lock then all was fine.

Dave

Example

Mirror-wobble.png.104d9da79369b69a9ab9af1046a8b93a.png

Do you know what model of horizon? If I do mount my scope on it in the future (1250mm focal length), I'll need something pretty sturdy but would prefer to keep it around the £50 if that is sensible.

That's exactly the one I use, but I've completely removed the pan/tilt head and bolted the SW latitude base directly to the legs at the top, then run 3/8" studding the full length of the central tube to a 5kg counterweight at the base.

It is now incredibly sturdy.

On 26/11/2017 at 16:51, serbiadarksky said:

I get good results too with the Star Advenutrer and a 600D :D

Always I keep the exposure for all objects 8-10 min each sub :D

FB_IMG_1511651903004-1.jpg

FB_IMG_1511550827437-1.jpg

FB_IMG_1511477304001-1.jpg

FB_IMG_1511374354355-1.jpg

FB_IMG_1511218717762-1.jpg

FB_IMG_1511254289831-1.jpg

FB_IMG_1511273527553-1.jpg

Do you use a light pollution filter too or are all of these shot at a dark location, would appreciate it if you could give bortle scale class aswell. Awesome shots btw!

• Like 3

If it helps anyone looking at mounts, I did some research through what astronomy stores stock and what people on forums such as this have used and these seem to be the best options:

First Horizon 8115 (£85, load unknown)

Manfrotto 055. The 055CL and 055XB are older models which can come up second hand, they will take 7Kg. The 055XPRO3 will take 9Kg and is around £149

Velbon DV-700N, 6Kg load, £100-£110

Fotomate VT-2900, 8Kg, £142

I just had a beep on my phone to say a Manfrotto 055CL from eBay has been delivered. A ball head arriving tomorrow, I should be set. Now all I need is one of those great big fans that blows the cloud away. It has not been worth trying with my rubbish tripod since my SA arrived a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully I will post a first light picture soon.

On 07/07/2019 at 10:08, DaveHKent said:

It looks like I have recently made the right choice. I wanted a tracking mount for widefield images of the milky way and star fields, and had fancied the Omegon Mini Track (the small windup mount). Then I realised it only worked in the northern hemisphere and I'd be disappointed if I go on a more exotic holiday again, but a model that works in both was a little bit more. But for a little bit more still, they have the newer sturdier version, then add a bit more and you get both hemispheres. As the cost mounted up, it was getting close to the star adventurer, so a new one arrived on my doorstep on Friday :) (A very quick response to questions and shipping from Rother Valley Optics).

Seeing some of the images on this thread has convinced me I have made the right choice. I have a Celestron Nexstar SLT90 (altz goto mount) and thought DSO imaging was beyond me. It looks like this will take the weight of the tube if I want to go that far, but some of the images with just Canon DSLRs have been amazing.

I have got a couple of questions though. I don't have a ball head and my photography tripod is a cheap basic one. I have set up my SA on there and it is clear it is going to be very wobbly. I have a load of Amazon vouchers, are there any tripods or ball heads people would recommend on there? The Skywatcher SA tripod is £59 (but not sold on Amazon), so I was looking in the same price range. There are a number of ball heads with good reviews for £20-£30, would pretty much any of these be suitable?

There is a Neewer tripod that will take 12kg for £47 and the ball head is removable, which would give me both for £50. Would I regret scrimping on this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Aluminum-centimeters-Camcorder-kilograms/dp/B073515X3H/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=607M2SPFZFE0HN5NYFJ3

A short term alternate I could use is to put the SA onto my Nexstar Altz mount. If I didn't use the wedge and put it straight on the mount, it would fit but be mounted sideways. Would that work or would the tracking now be working the wrong way? I would not have the Nexstar mount unpowered so it did not track. How would I go about aligning, still turn the 6 so it is pointing to the ground.

I have the neweer tripod - it’s fairly good! I’ve definitely overloaded it now though. I was just using this setup temporarily but I found that it wasn’t particularly stable - ended up going all out on a heq5 as well but I got it out (the SA) last night to get some shots of Jupiter and it serves its purpose well 😊

Was very nice carrying the whole setup in one hand and have everything running off of batteries!

C8DA8C6F-02CA-4733-BC30-F01CCFDB25CF.jpeg

Posted (edited)

North America Nebula taken on the 1st Jul and processed just now

Taken with Canon 550d modified with 300mm lens , mount on SA

i freaking love the SA but even more so the canon 300mm f4 Lens!!!!!!

0994D136-F7DD-4940-8B85-633269544553.jpeg

Edited by lnlarxg
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, lnlarxg said:

North America Nebula taken on the 1st Jul and processed just now

Taken with Canon 550d modified with 300mm lens , mount on SA

i freaking love the SA but even more so the canon 300mm f4 Lens!!!!!!

0994D136-F7DD-4940-8B85-633269544553.jpeg

Did you use a light pollution filter aswel or was this shot at a dark sky location? 

6 hours ago, Kenco said:

Did you use a light pollution filter aswel or was this shot at a dark sky location? 

I had a astronomik cls Clio on filter on the canon when taking the exposures

Been practising the set up and polar alignment of my Star Adventurer through the short nights in the hopes I can get started on some proper imaging now that the nights are getting a little longer.

This was a (cropped, but otherwise unprocessed) 7 min exposure of the tail of the Plough (Alkaid, Mizar / Alcor and Alioth), taken just a few days after the longest day - admittedly I'm only using an 85mm lens at the moment but I'm still delighted with the tracking capabilities of this little mount!  Check out M51, M101 and M63 all in frame!  Think I must have just cut of M106, which is a bit of a shame...

Getting some curious star shapes in the corners with this lens (could I ease that by stopping it down a bit, do you think?) but otherwise it's looking good for some seriously deep Cygnus time over the next couple of weeks!  7 minute exposures with anything approaching f1.4 is hugely exciting!

Star Adventurer

Canon 6d

Samyang 85mm f1.4 stopped down to about f2

ISO 100 (to prevent total over-exposure!)

1 x 7 minute exposure

Plough_7mins.JPG

Plough_7mins - Galaxies.JPG

Single 41s exposure of the Laggon and Triffid nebula at 214mm. Canon 1200D modded + Sigma 70-300

101312885_LagoonTriffidrez.thumb.jpg.8daa7c3d71a2f9d504a73aa69c5a7305.jpg