SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging with a Star Adventurer

13 minutes ago, thomasv said:

Looks like cam is modded based on the signature. 

Heading to Tenerife next week with almost the same equipment, SA mini, modded 6D + sigma 35mm F1.4.

If I get something similarly good, I'll be happy.

Sounds good !

I'm interested in Sigma glass. I bought the cheapy 2nd hand canon 50mm to see how it would work with this set up. If it goes OK then longer term I'd like to invest in a Sigma 50mm.

I have an old sigma 105mm macro I use mainly for insects and flowers, I was thinking about maybe giving that a go with the SAM too.

45 minutes ago, thomasv said:

Looks like cam is modded based on the signature. 

Heading to Tenerife next week with almost the same equipment, SA mini, modded 6D + sigma 35mm F1.4.

If I get something similarly good, I'll be happy.

I've heard that sky is one of the best good luck !

Clear skies 

3 hours ago, Spaced Out said:

Sounds good !

I'm interested in Sigma glass. I bought the cheapy 2nd hand canon 50mm to see how it would work with this set up. If it goes OK then longer term I'd like to invest in a Sigma 50mm.

I have an old sigma 105mm macro I use mainly for insects and flowers, I was thinking about maybe giving that a go with the SAM too.

The Sigma ART lenses are pretty damn good, I've got a 30mm F1.4 and a 24-105mm F4. Nice and sharp.

54 minutes ago, Erling G-P said:

I'll second that - absolutely stunning photographs !! 😮

Northumberland seems to provide a wealth of fantastic photo locations

Wow ! Thank you too.

I tend not to go very far from home with my camera so most of my night sky images are from coastal Northumberland. Luckily I am sort of equidistant between Newcastle upon Tyne and Berwick upon Tweed, looking north and south I can see light pollution but locally it is pretty dark at night.  

I have a ‘Northumberland’ album on the Flickr page with milky way, aurora shots etc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132427272@N04/albums/with/72157654649850948

I’m now hoping to learn how to use the star adventurer mini to produce better quality milky way shots from around here. 👍

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Spaced Out said:

Wow ! Thank you too.

I tend not to go very far from home with my camera so most of my night sky images are from coastal Northumberland. Luckily I am sort of equidistant between Newcastle upon Tyne and Berwick upon Tweed, looking north and south I can see light pollution but locally it is pretty dark at night.  

I have a ‘Northumberland’ album on the Flickr page with milky way, aurora shots etc.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132427272@N04/albums/with/72157654649850948

I’m now hoping to learn how to use the star adventurer mini to produce better quality milky way shots from around here. 👍

Must be wonderful to have such landscapes close to home. Your bird photography is exquisite too - I'm not really into birds, but they're so good I almost want to start photographing birds myself :)

Best of luck with the Star Adventurer, although your Milky Way shots don't really need improvement if you ask me :wink:

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Erling G-P said:

Must be wonderful to have such landscapes close to home. Your bird photography is exquisite too - I'm not really into birds, but they're so good I almost want to start photographing birds myself :)

Best of luck with the Star Adventurer, although your Milky Way shots don't really need improvement if you ask me :wink:

Thank you ! Yeah I'm lucky to live here, good for photographing the night sky. 👍

1 hour ago, Nova2000 said:

hi

does anyone use the tripod that skywatcher makes for the star adventurer?

https://www.skywatcherusa.com/collections/star-adventurer-accessories/products/star-adventurer-tripod

Hi I did but now mainly use a manfrotto tripod. I originally purchased it as it was light weight and would be useful for hill walking/hiking as it keeps the weight down. I found the legs to be quite loose and would always lose polar alignment until I tightened up the Allen bolts at the top of the legs. 

I will no doubt use it again, just not for outside in the garden. 

Andy

4 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

hi

does anyone use the tripod that skywatcher makes for the star adventurer?

https://www.skywatcherusa.com/collections/star-adventurer-accessories/products/star-adventurer-tripod

Yeah I do, I find it very sturdy and never had any issues, both for observing and astrophotography.  I have two manfrotto tripods but I still prefer the SW tripod, least for use in the garden

82917F18-4648-4AA4-96BA-89771DD8C6F1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been out with my star adventurer a couple of times now.  This is the first time I have had any equipment that I can track with.  Anyway here is my second attempt at astro photography with tracking.  The orion nebula taken with a Canon 200D, ISO 800, Canon 75mm - 300mm lens at 200mm, 35 x 1 minute exposures and 10 darks.  Stacked in DSS and processed in GIMP.

Processed_2.png

Edited by Chefgage
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, andy fearn said:

I had a star-adventurer for Christmas and haven't had chance to use it yet. will be pleased if I get something of that quality. very nice.

I am still trying to get the focusing spot on. The focus ring on my lens is fairly slack so getting that spot on focus is quite hard. I think maybe a wide elastic band might help. Did not help either that there was gusts of wind going on as well.

9 minutes ago, AstroExploring said:

Took this of the Orion Nebula a couple of nights ago. Only 60x 1 minute subs as it was a bit windy! Taken with my newly modified 650D and Sky-Watcher 72ED 🔭 

5E632A98-BC92-43A3-9190-2CDED71A86CB.jpeg

Very nice. My next plan is to do the same amount of subs as i did last time but double the exposure to 120s and then compare the two. I agree it was very windy the last few days 😀

And i do think i can see a 72ed being purchased in the near future.

Edited by Chefgage
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AstroExploring said:

Took this of the Orion Nebula a couple of nights ago. Only 60x 1 minute subs as it was a bit windy! Taken with my newly modified 650D and Sky-Watcher 72ED 🔭 

Hi sorry this is off topic question. Which flattner do you use with the 72ed?didn't wanna start a new thread 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AstroExploring said:

Do you use guiding with the star adventurer? I'm asking because you have got the exact same setup as I do, minus the astro-mod to the 650d!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, andy fearn said:

I had a star-adventurer for Christmas and haven't had chance to use it yet. will be pleased if I get something of that quality. very nice.

I would suggest having a good play with it first in the day light. At least then you will be familar with it when it gets dark (i was not, i was too keen to get outside 😀).