Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
astrosathya

Software Hoarding

Hey Everyone,

I bought a new laptop two days ago. Even though I do have the standard software like APT, PHD1,2, CdC, Stellarium, DSS, ASCOM, EQMOD etc. etc, Anyone have any other software in mind I could install? I'll admit that I kind of hoard them on the PC and not really use them.

If you are not going to use them then don't install them. Why take up memory when you don't need to.

Peter

What about software for processing beyond DSS? Photoshop/GIMP/Pixinsight etc.?

If the laptop is new and of reasonable spec, then chances are the hard drive is a high capacity. Mine was only mid-range and has a 1TB hard drive, which is only around 15% full after installing everything I need. Plenty of space for images left!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By gilesco
      Just sending a query out there to anyone who has experience imaging at public sites on Dartmoor?
      Looking to learn about good locations, how this is received by the National Park authority (if imaging through the night) etc...
    • By cwine
      Hi! I've been struggling to get rid of slightly spiked/elongated stars that appear on the left hand side of my images. The stars have small spikes coming out the bottom left hand side of them.
      I use an unmodded Canon 600D with a 70-200mm Canon f4 lens (which I have recently cleaned to try and solve this issue). I use the star adventurer to track, but this doesn't look like the type of trail you get with bad alignment.
      I've attached some images as an example of what I mean - Example 1 is the bottom left of an image of the North American Nebula, and example 2 is the top right of the same image. Any ideas?

• By MarsG76
      These nebulae are located in the constellation Corona Australis, between γ and ε Coronae Australis and features NGC6726, NGC6729 and NGC6723.
      This is not a popular group of objects or part of the sky, but I thought that the combination of reflection nebula crossed by a dark nebulae make an interesting image.
      This image was exposed through my Celestron 8" SCT (at F10), on the CGEM mount with my full spectrum modded and cooled Canon 40D DSLR for a total exposure time of 5 hours, 59 minutes and 30 seconds.

• By yltansg
      Hi,
      I would like to share with you an article written by me on high-resolution solar imaging in different wavelengths.  Glad that the European Physics Journal (EPJ) Web of Conferences published it. You can read it at:   

https://www.epj-conferences.org/articles/epjconf/abs/2020/16/epjconf_seaan2020_01002/epjconf_seaan2020_01002.html
      You can see the different layers of the Sun in high-resolution images using different setups.  

Best regards.
      Alfred 
    • By MarsG76
      This image is a cropped and rotated version of the M16 image to emphasize the famous "Pillars of Creation" part of the nebula, made popular by the HST image of the same name.
      The color channels are SII, HAlpha and OIII as RGB, and color balanced to remove the heavy green color cast created by the strong Hydrogen Alpha signal.
      The total exposure time spent on this image was 20 hours and 57 minutes consisting of the following subs exposures:
      RGB: 13x15s, 19x30s, 17x60s, 12x90s, 17x120s, 15x180s
      HII: 2x600s, 9x900s, 4x1200s
      OIII: 1x600s, 8x900s, 1x1200s, 11x1500s
      SII: 2x500s, 14x1800s
      All at ISO1600.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.