Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Arrrgh.... Left Bhatinov on!

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

The other night I set up an imaging run, I set 60s instead of 600s, ended up with many useless subs! I normally check after the first sub, but on this occasion I was rushing to get back into the kids ?

We are not famed for our multitasking...

So hard to spot you've left it on, buried deep inside the dew shield, and not really obvious on the Lights unless there's a bright star like in Tim's image.

Cardboard sign saying "Bahtinov Mask" placed over the PC screen should do the trick - I think I'll do that myself.......Mikhalinov Mask ?

Michael

17 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I'd have thought a DSLR would be easier to focus with a B mask?

Olly

Not if you use the DSLR liveview zoom function and focus on the faintest star in the FOV near to the "thirds" intersection, it should then become either on or off with the slightest of movements.

Alan

47 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Not if you use the DSLR liveview zoom function and focus on the faintest star in the FOV near to the "thirds" intersection, it should then become either on or off with the slightest of movements.

Alan

I didn't know that. Cheers, I'll pass it on to guests using DSLRs.

Olly

4 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Alan

I have trouble seeing the big ones!

16 minutes ago, StargeezerTim said:

I have trouble seeing the big ones!

I have noticed this problem being reported but not sure if its due to Camera model or settings or a result of the f ratio that is being used. I can certainly see stars well  below mag six on my DSLR flip screen with either camera lenses or the ZS71 and FF/FR but you have to be zoomed in for some reason and obviously they wont show if focus is even slightly off.

The settings that I normally use to get an image on the display (not the final ones for actual imaging) are shutter at 20 seconds and ISO near its max to start then backed off if there is too much noise, the only other thing is trying the liveview exposure simulation both on and off.

Alan 

21 hours ago, StargeezerTim said:

The title says it... first clear night for what seems like ages. Just went out to check and discovered my hours subs of Pacman are useless!

Oh Well.... :blob8: :iamwithstupid:

Frightened the life out of me when I saw the raw subs. i thought my camera had a fault. As soon as I saw the processed subs I realised my mistake. It was a mixed feeling of euphoria and regret. :)

Steve 

Archived