NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Your first astronomy book

Manxstar

Was looking through my astonomy book collection last night and got very soppy :crybaby: reading through my Observers book of astronomy by Patrick Moore, bought when I was 11, carried it everywhere, memorised the planet distances during lunch times when too wet to play football!! Was wandering if others have fond memories of their first book?

Ohh I had a Ladybird book too -

I suppose my earliest books were two 'card' collection books. Way back when I was tiny I became fascinated with space. Dad was always fascinated with it and I suppose it rubbed off. Anyway back then there was an ice lolly called a 'Sky-Ray' which was sort of spaceship shaped and with every lolly you got a collector card of future space ships and sattelites or a view of what the planets might look like. The artwork was very much in the style of Bonestell and I collected the set - you could buy some books to stick them in and I had those too. I cant rememeber much about them except the Russian venus probes and the last pic in the 2nd book which was a nuclear powered spaceship to get to Pluto. Looked kind of like 'Discovery' in 2001.

I even had the SKy-Ray vest thing which was supposed to look like an astronauts suit - much to the annoyance of my mum who used to always be on at me to 'act like other girls - this stuff is for boys' Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I also had a book by von Braun with illustrations by Bonestell of landing on the moon.

They have all been lost over time which is a shame.

Memories though - when the moon landings in 69 were on I was glued to the TV as was dad. But I had a 'moment' then. I went down seriously ill and was taken into hospital ahead of the actual landing. Anyway to make a long story short I found myself on a geraitric ward with women who were in their 70s and 80s ( NHS bed shortage even back then I suppose ). I dont remember the landing so much as I remember the gasps of awe from the women around me most of whom would have been born in an age without even aircraft.

To this day I can still feel the power of that moment that within a single lifetime we went from the Wright brothers at Kitthawk to landing on the moon - that seems an amazing thing to me.

Gaz, I have now had my PM Observers book for 32 years!!!Time does fly!!! Also had several Ladybird books on space and the stars, sadly lost now :smiley: What amazes me when looking back through my books is how photography has changed the way we see the universe, from very fuzzy black and white photographs from the professional observatories, to the stunning digital pics we have from amateur astronomers today.

One for the oldies .... when I was at junior school in the 1950's, we used to get "lucky bags" at Christmas. They contained all sort of bits and pieces, one of which was a little booklet IIRC produced by Andrews (livers salts). It contained lots of facts - heights of mountains, capital cities etc., but it also contained a list of the planets and their mean distances from the sun.

Does anyone else remember it? The younger of you are probably too young and the older of you probably have difficulty remebering anything these days :smiley::bino2::p

Mike

I remember having a Ladybird "Book of the Night Sky" and also the same Patrick Moore Observers book that you mentioned which I've still got 25+ years later.

Gaz that was one of my first books too, If I remember right there is a picture picture of meteors and a church? the image stuck in my mind, I then read Guideposts to the stars by Leslie C Peltier, still have it, inspired me greatly.

I remember having a Ladybird "Book of the Night Sky" and also the same Patrick Moore Observers book that you mentioned which I've still got 25+ years later.

Gaz that was one of my first books too, If I remember right there is a picture picture of meteors and a church? the image stuck in my mind, I then read Guideposts to the stars by Leslie C Peltier, still have it, inspired me greatly.

I had the ladybird book too, and then SPM's Observer book. A couple of years ago I spotted copies of them in a second hand bookshop and bought them. You are right about the meteors and the church.

Richard

My first book was also the Observer Astronomy book by SPM. Which I got one Christmas with a small pair of binoculars in the early seventies. Still think it was a great present. Still have the book, but the binos went a few years ago.

phillc

Mine was also the Observers Book of Astronomy by Sir PM. It was actually given to my brother but I nicked it and borrowed a mates 60mm refractor for a week ....... 33 years later I've still got the book and I'm still hooked on astronomy :smiley:

I also fondly remember the "I-Spy Book of Astronomy" - does anyone else remember the I-Spy series ?

I suppose for youger members the question should be "Do you remember your 1st planetarium software ?" :bino2:

John

Was looking through my astonomy book collection last night and got very soppy :crybaby: reading through my Observers book of astronomy by Patrick Moore, bought when I was 11, carried it everywhere, memorised the planet distances during lunch times when too wet to play football!! Was wandering if others have fond memories of their first book?

My first was actually a the Italian magazine ...errr! i can't remember the name :oops: ... it had an article about black holes. Mum rushed to buy it for me noticing my keen interest in the sciences (bless her :smiley: )

My first book was practical amateur astronomy 1963 version, editied by Patrick Moore. I first bought it in 1974 and I read it cover to cover many times. Very much like Gaz I also memorized all sorts of facts and figures, which I too have now forgotten.

I just had another flip through it as I have not read it for thirty years. It is amazing on just how things have changed. There is a photo of Patrick in his very new looking dome. There are also photos taken of juptier and saturn with a 15 inch cassegrain. They look blumming awful, how spoilt we have become. When I saw those pictures thirty years ago I was astounded.

There is a really good chapter on astro photography ( written in the 1950's) It describes how to pick the right film, how to develop in the dark room and how to pan by hand if you do not have a clock drive.

I had to smile when I saw the article of how to make a solar projection from a drinking chocolate tin. I made that so many times and never got it to work.

Now somwhere I have my first telescope catalouge, it is from what is now Telescope House. If I recall rightly there is an offer on "new jap eyepieces" which it is stated "are of suprising quality and not two inches." It went onto say that they needed an adaptor to fit in a whitworth.

There are also many pictures of dwarves looking through three inch refractors. Some of the scope were brass. I recall that the price tag was about 3 grand!!!!. A lot of dosh in the 70's.

Collins Pocket Guide Stars and Planets was my first when i was 12. Called it the 'Bible' at the time. Still have it and still use it. Tempted to retire it (keep it safe) and buy the 4th Edition.

Also bought a Philips Planisphere at the same time. Still have that but don't use it. I keep it just in case my kids show some sort of tangible interest in the hobby.

Russ

I still have my copy of PM's observers book :smiley:

My best book however was the Usbourne 'book of the Universe'. Best children's astro/science book ever!!

I took it to school to read on the last day of the year (our annual treat!) and my teacher was so absorbed by it she took it home and got her grand kids or nephew of someone to read it.

An awesome book which my mother binned within a week of me leaving home. :crybaby:

Books for kids now are absolutely awful. No information whatsoever. I have to search charity shops for books for them.

Most of my early astronomy books were borrowed from the library. I think the first was a children's book with big illustrated pages, pictures of constellations and explanations of things in the sky.

I actually don't know which was the first I owned. It may be the ancient Observer's Guide that I have.

Archived