NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Outer Planets & Moons

Stub Mandrel

I'm wondering what Alex Wolf and the Stellarium Development Team are up to...

Seen his (Alex) last post here? Seems they're doing the mapping of features of the planets in our solar-system. I've downloaded the last 'beta' of the project. It looks almost there to show maps of the known features. I'm wondering how they'll deal with Uranus, Neptune, and the Moons of all the planets.

Wow! :thumbsup:

Dave

2 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Fine images! Uranus and Neptune are extremely difficult targets at time. I have ben imaging Uranus myself during this opposition. What filters are you using?

No filters at all other than those built in to the ASI120MC, and a barlow.

9 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

No filters at all other than those built in to the ASI120MC, and a barlow.

I managed this image last year, using a 610 filter and Asi224mc. I not managed anything as good this year so far though. I think using the filter I need very good transparency or the exposure needed is just a bit too long.

Its incredible that we can not only capture these distant planets, but the moons as well! 

59fb8b103d574_2016_12.29UranusmoonsLtoRUmbrielArielMirandaOberon.thumb.png.63aa3a5b1f3a0280e59350205d2911fa.png

On 02/11/2017 at 22:13, Stub Mandrel said:

Is that with the C9.25 and what effective focal length?

I am disappointed I can't get anywhere near that with 2/3 the aperture :-(

Yes with my C9.25, at around 4700 fl I think. I was using a X2 Barlow and a 610 filter. 

I wouldn't be too disappointed I haven't got anywhere near it since. 

Really great images.

Well that's made my mind up. After seeing Mercury visually for the first time this year. The hunt is on for the distant planets I haven't imaged. I'll fire up the ol' Tal 200K and see what we can find :icon_biggrin:

Steve

Archived