Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ahhhhhh, that's better.

David Levi

After about a month with no observing (the most barren period since I bought my telescope back in August 2016) the skies finally cleared and I got a brilliant session last night. Although, it probably seems much better due to the long wait to get out and look up at the heavens. No messing about in the back garden, I went to the Brecon Beacons and was rewarded with crystal clear skies, a wonderful Milkyway and thousands upon thousands of background stars. Even the first quarter moon, casting shadows, couldn't dampen my spirits and after it had set it was really dark.

I started off with the planets Neptune and Uranus. Neptune is in the constellation Aquarius, convenient for finding purposes close to the 4th magnitude star Hydor (λ Aqr). Small and white it could be seen to not be a star. At 200x magnification the slightest amount of radius (?) could be perceived and it didn't twinkle. Uranus is currently in the constellation Pisces and can be found quite easily using Omicron Piscium as a starting point. I've seen it before and once seen it's not easily forgotten such that I could make it out in my 9 x 50 finderscope. At 200x magnification it was a pleasing disk, grey in colour. I observed both these planets about the same time last year and although they have travelled in their orbits, they are still passing through the same constellations.

Not wishing to be disappointed after the excitement which grew as the week progressed when it seemed that we were going to get some clear skies, I set my target for satisfaction quite low. The main aim was to see M110, the companion galaxy to Andromeda. Despite the dark skies I still couldn't see the Andromeda Galaxy naked eye. Looking through the telescope at 59x magnification it was just stunning. The most detail that I have ever seen. I remembered my first disappointing view of the Andromeda Galaxy from my back garden a year ago and now I stared at it in awe. M32 was clear and then the satisfying moment of seeing M110. M110 is big compared to M32 and was so obvious last night. The centre is not as bright as M32 which is probably why you need dark skies to see it while M32 can be seen relatively easy. The three galaxies together providing me with one of my favourite views in my short astronomy career.

Delighted at the view of the galaxies, I went in search of more faint objects that I had previously struggled to see. The Triangulum Galaxy, M33, was so obvious that I didn't even have to look at it's location in the atlas. I went to where I remembered that it should be and then looked through the 17.3mm eyepiece. Once again it was a wow moment. So big and bright. Next on to the Crab Nebula. Clear and big. Both these objects were mere shadows when I had seen them before. Only visible by moving the slow motion controls back and fore and looking at the contrast change.

I also had a look at Bode's Nebulae, the galaxies M81 and M82 in the constellation Ursa Major. Both brilliantly clear and evoking wonder at the universe seen in the same field of view.

I had a couple of failures. I couldn't see the Helix Nebula in the constellation Aquarius. I'm pretty sure that I was looking in the right place and I also tried my OIII and UHC filters with no luck. I also wanted to view the galaxies NGC 247 (constellation Cetus) and NGC 253 (Sculptor) but a tree got in the way before clouds rolled in about 1am.

Before leaving I had my first view of the season of the Orion Nebula. Oh how I've missed it. What a sight! Fantastic!

It was a constant battle against condensation throughout the observing session. First the secondary mirror, then the finderscope and finally the primary mirror. My 12V hairdryer (£12.54) and Phaze 4 in 1 Jump Starter (£40, a battery) worked brilliantly otherwise the session would have been over in a hour. Well worth the investment.

I was buzzing travelling home and I am still smiling, remembering the session, this morning. I want more!

Great report - it was a superb night, wasn't it? I was out looking at a few galaxies (NGC 7331 and associated group), some Haas doubles, plus Uranus and Neptune as a bonus. At about midnight, I got a superb view of a meteorite which appeared near the zenith, and headed WSW. Brilliant white train, then it burst and produced a series of tracks which were quite orange coloured (Na D?) - I don't know if anyone else saw it?? Could have been a stray Orionid I suppose...

Chris

Brilliant David! Nicely written report and those skies sound wonderful. It was a great night for me too, not under dark skies but at least the seeing was good, as was the transparency. Let's hope the autumn carries on like this!

Hi Chris @chiltonstar. Yes, it was a great night for observing. I saw three shooting stars last night. They weren't as spectacular as the one that you saw and they all appeared to come and go on roughly the same trajectory. Northern Taurids seem to fit the bill for the ones that I saw.

Fantastic report ,oozes excitement and that's what dark skies do!Once you've seen Galaxies out there's no going back. My best view of M1 was in the Beacons.

The amount of filiment detail was almost photographic but then we turned to M42 ..and the rest is history!...make more of these trips to get the most of this hobby if you can..clear skies!

13 hours ago, David Levi said:

Hi Alan @alan potts. That's Llangorse, towards the eastern side of the Beacons. There's a nice lake there where you can do various on water activities.

The very place David, I have recently learnt the school set up a holiday there every year, we had a great time. Of course back then it was an epic journey from Chatham.

Alan

Archived