NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pacman and California

wxsatuser

Caught a clear spell Thursday night, full Moon of course but gave it a go anyway.

Both images 16x600secs Atik 383L+ Samyang 135mm @ f2 Astrodon 5nm Ha filter.

Thanks for looking.

Pacman and Gamma Cassiopeiae
pacman2017.jpg

California Nebula
california2017.jpg

There was a pretty hefty Moon gradient over the California, took a fair bit of fiddling
in DBE to remove most of it, then I settled for a masked stretch and did'nt push it to hard.

The Pacman was slightly easier, a year a go I would'nt have bothered to go outside with the dslr. :icon_biggrin:

Great wide-fields! The little Samyang is making a statement again. I never realized the close proximity between the Ghost in Cassiopeia and Packman although I have imaged both with longer focal lengths - that is the downside of being spoiled by a Go-To mount.

2 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

I always wanted to do the Pacman but it's a bit small for the Sammy, so I thought about slipping in Gamma Cas.
May be needs slightly better framing but pleased it captured quite well with a full Moon.

Sammy... Thanks, now we got a cute name for our little darling!

Pacman to Gamma Cass is a great target. If you go back to it on a moonless night you'll find lots more Ha signal including the 'Breaking Wave.' In fact signs of the wave are already appearing.

Nice California, too. So often the California is cropped and it is a way more attractive target when given room to breathe like this.

Olly

Archived