NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astrophotography Tips?

Greetings! I recently got my first telescope, the NexStar 4SE so far I've only seen the moon and tried to take pictures of it (I'll attach some below). Anyways, it's been a little bit tough for me to take those pictures because my hands shake so much (I use my iPhone 7 to take pictures for now) and if it makes sense the little dot of light never centers with the phones lens?? Any tips for me, am I doing something wrong or is it just that much of a struggle to take a decent picture? I don't mind the struggle, I actually love it gives me a challenge to get better pictures the next time. But I just thought I'd ask.

Thank you

IMG_1024.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

I am starting out in astrophotography as well. I have always found putting a phone up to the eyepiece to be very tricky, for the reasons you have stated. I haven't got one myself, but it may be worth while looking at getting a bracket that will hold your phone in place over the eyepiece. There are brackets out there specifically made for smart phones and compact cameras.

I tried a couple other adapters, and there may be a better iPhone/Scope specific adapter out there perhaps by Meade/Celestron, but this works: http://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-SteadyPix-Pro-Universal-CameraSmartphone-Mount-125/rc/2160/p/103503.uts?keyword=adapter darn well. Holds things firmly, allows you to consistently center your phones camera lens on the eyepiece. It's a bit heavy. It's not sloppy. Once set for your phone, your can just loosen the clamps a bit and get your phone in and out. Loosening the eyepiece clamp and leaving the phone in, you can cast about for interesting shots, change eyepieces or whatnot and then clamp the adapter back on. I tried 2 less expensive adapters, eyesky and gosky - don't bother - they tend to loosen easily. Not so bad with a dedicated eyepiece, but still 'meh'. The steadypix pro or a functional equivalent does the job.

You might also consider purchasing a used smartphone with a good camera just for use with your scope - ya don't need a sim for photos. Be aware that smartphone cameras, although they often have wonderful 'professional' camera settings/controls, are not the equivalent of starshooter/neximage imagers, which generally require a computer, notebook, laptop or a windows tablet. They have greater sensitivity and exposure control and can begin to image DSOs for under $200. 

Once you get a clamp on adapter you like, consider a buying a dedicated eyepiece or eyepieces for it. That way, you have one for you to view, and one already mounted in the adapter. Parfocal lenses will allow you to switch between a mag you like, and one your phone likes - they needn't be dead-close, the phone cam's focuser takes up a good bit of slack. 

http://www.astronomysource.com/tag/eyepiece-projection-vs-prime-focus/ is worth a read although intended for DSLRs. Your iPhone 7 has a marvelous camera - with the right eyepieces, settings, techniques and post processing you'll do well =) 

Clear Skies and Sharp Eyes!

On 10/5/2017 at 12:03, AstroKerr said:

I tried a couple other adapters, and there may be a better iPhone/Scope specific adapter out there perhaps by Meade/Celestron, but this works: http://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-SteadyPix-Pro-Universal-CameraSmartphone-Mount-125/rc/2160/p/103503.uts?keyword=adapter darn well. Holds things firmly, allows you to consistently center your phones camera lens on the eyepiece. It's a bit heavy. It's not sloppy. Once set for your phone, your can just loosen the clamps a bit and get your phone in and out. Loosening the eyepiece clamp and leaving the phone in, you can cast about for interesting shots, change eyepieces or whatnot and then clamp the adapter back on. I tried 2 less expensive adapters, eyesky and gosky - don't bother - they tend to loosen easily. Not so bad with a dedicated eyepiece, but still 'meh'. The steadypix pro or a functional equivalent does the job.

You might also consider purchasing a used smartphone with a good camera just for use with your scope - ya don't need a sim for photos. Be aware that smartphone cameras, although they often have wonderful 'professional' camera settings/controls, are not the equivalent of starshooter/neximage imagers, which generally require a computer, notebook, laptop or a windows tablet. They have greater sensitivity and exposure control and can begin to image DSOs for under $200. 

Once you get a clamp on adapter you like, consider a buying a dedicated eyepiece or eyepieces for it. That way, you have one for you to view, and one already mounted in the adapter. Parfocal lenses will allow you to switch between a mag you like, and one your phone likes - they needn't be dead-close, the phone cam's focuser takes up a good bit of slack. 

http://www.astronomysource.com/tag/eyepiece-projection-vs-prime-focus/ is worth a read although intended for DSLRs. Your iPhone 7 has a marvelous camera - with the right eyepieces, settings, techniques and post processing you'll do well =) 

Clear Skies and Sharp Eyes!

Thank you so much! I ordered a mount and I can't wait for it to get here

Archived