NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sol 28/9/17 10-30

alanjgreen

Date: 28/9/17 10-30 -> 11-00

Equipment: Lunt LS60 double stack, Pan24 & Pan19 in MarkV bino with x1.7 gpc

I haven't posted on this topic in quite a while! Probably due to the fact we have been under pretty much solid cloud and rain since early July (here in Penrith anyway) with only the occasional smash & grab session being allowed :(

Anyway, this week I have now had two decent sessions (Tue & Thur) so I thought I would write something down.

It is fair to say that the opportunity to see THREE regions all active and on the disk at the same time are few and far between. We have been treated to some super large spots over the summer but I think this current configuration is the best of the year IMHO so if you get a chance get outside and take a look...

TUESDAY

On tuesday, we had 3 and a half regions on the disk with the other half headed off the far side! The newest region was really putting on a show with several flares observed during my 30-40 minute session. One was a biggie, lighting up a whole strand of faculae while the other were smaller single point flares. It was so good that I had to grab the wife to come see the action.

The central active region had a lovely "C" shape filament that was in the process of breaking up and over the time period there was a noticeable change in the clarity of the "C" due to the shifting of the filament itself. Many emerging flux's were seen in this central region. (they look like pairs of "bright eyes")

I also remember that the sunspots were looking fine too, two double spots and a single.

There were two areas of several small prominences but this is a "spot disk" at the moment.

* I have begun to notice that we seem to get "spot disks", "filament disks" or "prom disks" with one or the other of these 3 in abundance and a distinct lack of the other two. Probably just my imagination or need to put the disks in pigeon holes!

THURSDAY (today)

The most noticeable change from Tuesday is that the central region has really expanded. It looks like it has grown from the centre outwards. The "C" shape filament is now a less distinct but much larger "S" shape filament and there is loads of flux activity coming from this region. Its double spot is now merged to a single. This region is becoming a real beauty.

The newest region is much less active today with only a couple of emerging fluxes observed. It does have the nicest spots and the penumbra surrounding them is much larger than the spots in the centre. Maybe more spot growth to come.

There seems a general lack of pores near any of the spots but I dont know what the impact of this is on the spots themselves??

There is a lovely thick filament on the disk and with the higher power 19mm (12mm equivalent due to x1.7 gpc being used) it revealed some lovely detail.

I did not observe any flare activity so it seems the sun is quieter than on Tuesday but the middle region is definately worth the effort to get a look if you can. These multiple region views are quite rare.

GENERAL

The conditions are better today than on Tuesday when I had to quickly abandon the 19mm higher power and return to the 24mm for a nice sharp focused view!

All the best,

Alan

1 hour ago, GavStar said:

Hi Alan, very nice report. I have a Lunt 60mm and have been wondering what impact double stacking it would have. How do you find your scope double stacked vs single stacked?

There is no comparison. The DS60 is streets ahead of single stack 60. I have never gone back to single stack since the DS60 was fitted. It is permanently on :) its also handy to have the M90 rotator fitted as this allows you to rotate the DS60 unit to match the viewing conditions. You would be suprised how much extra little detail can be teased out by the rotation of the DS60 unit.

Dont go for a DS50 unit for the LS60, this leads to dimmer views and loss of detail.

My scope is shown here

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/260073-show-us-your-solar-observing-equipment/?do=findComment&comment=3125197

Archived