NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Lincolnshire

Myrialejean

Hello all!

Been a 'browser' for quite a while but finally got round to creating an account.

Been into astronomy for more years than I care to mention but only as a hobby rather than a serious pursuit and certainly no expert on the subject.

Currently have a Celestron C8 Edge HD, CGEM mount and StarSense.  Dabbling with Ekos/INDI and a Raspberry Pi at the moment.

Rich.

Hello Rich,  from down here in the Blue Mountains in Australia.  Welcome to the site.  

My better half is in Woodhall Spa at the moment visiting her sister - I have only been once but Lincolnshire is lovely.  Being somewhat flat, you must get some wonderful 'big skies' when it is clear.

All the best,

Mike

1 hour ago, mike005 said:

Hello Rich,  from down here in the Blue Mountains in Australia.  Welcome to the site.  

My better half is in Woodhall Spa at the moment visiting her sister - I have only been once but Lincolnshire is lovely.  Being somewhat flat, you must get some wonderful 'big skies' when it is clear.

All the best,

Mike

Hello Mike,  went to Australia for first time last year and have to say I'd swap it for the UK any day :icon_biggrin:  Was blown away by the dark skies in Port Douglas, Sydney probably had less LP than my town (Grantham).  Shame I'm about 20 years to old to emigrate now :sad:  Blue Mountains is definitely on our list to visit once we've saved up the pennies.

Hi Rich,

Welcome to SGL☺.

I moved to the south Lincs Wolds area in March from the overcrowded Midlands and love it. Skies are not perfect but much darker with only Boston about 20miles south and Lincoln c 25miles to the west.

Enjoy the forum, some good people on here?.

Dave

Hi Rich and Mike

Also from Australia

Live northern end of the Goldcoast

Committee member of Southern Astronomy Society and contact details available there

Skywatcher ED80 on a EQ5 mount, 10" collapsible Dob, Coronado PST 

Some of our club members went to Port Douglas for the solar eclipse in 2013

On the Goldcoast had a 80% particle eclipse

With the club do public displays, and school presentations, level 1&2 space badge scout/guide movement

SAS is also associated with Gilmore Space Technologies, and what these guys doing absolutely amazing

They involved on rocketry development for first man flight to Mars

Pic of profile was taking overlooking the Broadwater Water, towards SeaWorld, night of the super moon back in February 

Happy Viewing

John  

On 20/09/2017 at 00:15, Myrialejean said:

Hello Mike,  went to Australia for first time last year and have to say I'd swap it for the UK any day :icon_biggrin:  Was blown away by the dark skies in Port Douglas, Sydney probably had less LP than my town (Grantham).  Shame I'm about 20 years to old to emigrate now :sad:  Blue Mountains is definitely on our list to visit once we've saved up the pennies.

Yes there are some advantages to living down here - lots of empty space to get away from everyone and just 'go bush' - but to be honest I'm not a real big fan of the 'bush'; the vegitation is all very similar shades of yellow/green over a bed of brown grass.  I have memories of growing up in Tasmania where it is was wetter, greener and with a much more varied landscape than one gets near Sydney.  

My wife and I love the countryside in the UK; with its hedgerows, rolling green fields, open woodlands with beds of flowers and waking up to the sound of black birds.  At least we can visit each other's countries :)

Archived