Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Farewell Cassini

johnfosteruk

2 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

:thumbsup:

and those of us of a certain vintage will now be thinking of The Four Seasons ( and I dont mean Vivaldi :) )

A little bit of Frankie will get you by ?. I'm upset that there's been no sign of Carolyn Porco on any of the coverage. For me she's been the voice/face of the mission. 

Did anyone have their signature scanned and added to the DVD carried by Cassini?

http://www.planetary.org/get-involved/messages/namesinspace.html#cassini

I remember signing a postcard back in the 90's and sending it in to the planetary society. Strange to think that long with the awesome Cassini probe my digitized name has just been vaporized!!!

Farewell Cassini, King of space probes

It was a very poignant moment watching  live as the signal flickered and disappeared from first one, then both bands.

Very sad, but what a proud moment for the engineers and scientists - so much achieved.

I will always think of Cassini when I view majestic Saturn in my humble telescope in the dark peacefulness of the night.

How lucky we are to be alive in this golden age of exploration!

Archived