Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

jdmgray

Altair Astro GPCam and Linux

Hi all, 

Not sure I'm in the right place or not but I was hoping someone could help...

I have an Altair Astro GPCamV2 and the box tells you to get the software from http://cameras.altairastro.com/ and that it will only work with Windows!

I was wondering if anyone else has gotten this type of cam working on a Linux os before and what the steps were for doing so. (Other software that will work, terminal commands for the drivers etc.)

thank you in advance ?

There is a beta release of AltairCapture (or whatever it is called) for Linux and OSX that may well support it, though I don't have one to test.

If it does work with AltairCapture then there's a strong possibility that it will also work with the next release of oacapture on Linux and OSX, along with many, if not all, of the other Altair cameras as long as the beta release is already installed so the drivers are available.

James

Just thought I would leave some feedback on this.....

First off, it worked!!!:hello2:

I thought I'd leave some steps on how I did it to help the next person.

1) click on the link and download the file that James posted.

2) next right click on the file, go to properties and make sure "Allow executing file as program" is checked

3) open your terminal and type the following:

cd /home/user/downloads

chmod +x AltairCapture.x64.run

./AltairCapture.x64.run

4) after this an Altair Capture icon should appear on your desktop....

Once again many thanks to James.

Depending on which release of which distribution you're running, I believe you may also need to restart udev using something like:

$ sudo service udev restart

(or a reboot should work).

James

• Like 1

Hi 

Following with interest. 

I’m trying to build a pi3 to run my imaging rig. I guide with a gpcam. Will the above work with ubuntu mate on a pi? I did try and got a desktop shortcut but I couldn’t get it to run. 

Thanks 

Brendan 

edit: should have added that I had to re image the card shortly after but not due to the altair software. 

Edited by B_ickringill
Left info out of post.

Sadly no, it won't work on any ARM device as far as I'm aware.  There's no reason why it shouldn't, but Altair don't provide ARM binaries at the moment.

James

Posted (edited)

no luck for me,

After i followed the above instructions ( restat also) I got this  but no button

install AltairCapture ok

in php2 the camera is not recognised

in lsusb gives me

Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0547:b121 Anchor Chips, Inc. 

Its a intel processor

anything else i could check?

Edited by freeway
addition

Altair have dropped support for some of their older cameras, which may be the issue.  That's fixable by using an older version of their libraries (or in fact I have hacked the new library to bodge in support for the older model that I have, but that's not easy to do for third party software).  I can probably send you a copy of the older library if necessary.  I'll try to remember to check tomorrow if my camera is the same model (same USB VID/PID) as yours.

By "php2" did you mean "phd2" ?

James

On 05/08/2019 at 02:21, JamesF said:

By "php2" did you mean "phd2" ?

yes, sorry, 

Great if you could help me get this camera working,

Unbeleavable that altair stopped support for this relative new camera.

Thanks most greatfull  

Gerard

I should have asked, did AltairCapture work ok with the camera?

James

Hi 

Revisiting this thread after a few years. 

Did altair ever release the binaries for arm processors?

Thanks 

They released hardfloat and 64-bit ARM versions of the SDK.  I don't know how much software there is that supports them though.

James

You may need to use the latest release rather than what's in a particular distribution.  I tried the other day with whatever is current for Ubuntu/Mint and the Altair interface just crashed.  I'm fairly sure the Altair SDK has been updated since the package was last built.

James

16 hours ago, JamesF said:

You may need to use the latest release rather than what's in a particular distribution.  I tried the other day with whatever is current for Ubuntu/Mint and the Altair interface just crashed.  I'm fairly sure the Altair SDK has been updated since the package was last built.

James

Thank you for the advice. When the children let me I'll have a go!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Yoxallred
      Can I fit a camera to aSkywatcher 130. 
    • By Kronos831
      Hello stargazers! I am a 14.5 year old boy currently exploring the hobby of astronomy!
      My first Telescope is the Celestron Firstscope!
      This post is going to contain mostly everything i do from now on!
      i will  occasionally post some tips  and tricks as well as some  images(rarely)
      I am soon getting a 8" dob , but that doesnt mean i wont be using the Celestron firstscope.
      Hopefully, one day i can look back to this and remember the beggining of my journey as i am intrested in studying astrophysics/ astronomy in university . And if not, i will continue exploring this hobby.
      So Lets start!
      Astro Journal #0
      So this is almost everything i ve done so far, i have had the telescope for almost 3 weeks now and have used it quite oftenly.
      The first time i used it was  in relatively okay skies,i had no idea what focusing was and just looked at unfocused stars for that day.I cant believe i had such ignorance! After i tried finding why the stars were like that, i finally unsterstood the purpose of the focuser! The next day i used it on the cresent Moon, it took me 10 minutes to find with the 20MM eyepiece supplied with the telescope XD. ( even though it was righ infront of me)
      It was quite nice! I was able to see some craters on it and focusing was pretty good. Then i turned to the 4mm eyepiece.(75x) mag
      it almost covered the entire fov. For some reason the 4mm eyepiece isnt able to focus very well in general. And it was kind of blurry , but still enjoyable!
      Here are some pictures i took with it:

i continued viewing the moon for a couple
      of days, then i decided to do some nebula viewing.
      I was despirately trying to find orion,as the orion nebula was and Is my FAVOURITE Nebula, it took me some time to realise that what i thought was pegasus was actually orion 's belt and sword  ?‍♂️. 
      The night i first observed orion was a full moon night. It took me around 3 minutes to find the orion nebula in the scope. I just happened to notice it because of accidental adverted vision.
      I ve heard of adverted vision , but hadnt had the chance to use it , until then. I had reasonably high expectations for a 3" reflector, and wasnt sure if i was looking at it or not. It looked like a faint colourless fuzzy blob.
      After reporting what i saw to the forum they assured me that i had indeed saw the orion nebula.( this all from quite light polluted skies!)
      Even though i had high expectations i was pretty satisfied with my views.
      3 days after, the moon wasnt very visible so i  went out to observe. What i saw amazed me. It was considerably brigher than before ,using adverted vision.
      The idea of looking at the nebula itself in combination with the even better view, astounded me.(in the same skies)
      I loved it!!!!!!!!!!! After some though i was very suprised that such a cheap instrument(got it for 60euros , but you can usually get it for around 50) can show you that much!
      Yesterday i woke up to see the moon venus and jupiter( I wasnt  able to view the jupiter-venus conjuction  because of clouds, same with the Super Blood Moon.  Guess i gotta wait another 19 years ?). I was able to find venus before i left for school. it was okay with the 20mm eyepiece. I just didnt have the time to view it in the 4mm( i know the timing was very unfortunate , didnt want to miss the buss)

Astro Journal #1
      So here we are! Today!
      I used the telescope in my backyard(they skies are okay! i can make out around 50 stars in my fov (around 180 degrees)
      I took a view of the orion nebula! You know what they say! You ll never see less than you saw yesterday!(except if the seeing conditions are worse ?)
      I was able to see quite more using adverted vision than the first time!
      { For those who dont know, adverted vision is when you dont look  directly at the object you are observing ,as the areas in your eyes that focus on something arent as light sensitive as the areas who do not.  So this way you achieve better brightness and clarity }
      Then i took a look at Taurus! i noticed some stars and then headed right for The Pleiades!
      The Pleiades , filled the entire Fov of my telescope . It had a pretty clear view. I did not however notice any colour or blue tint surrounding the stars.
      I wasnt expecting much to begin with so that was okay!
      I took some pictures of the Orion nebula! 
      This pictures indicate what you will see with bad seeing full moon  some light pollution and no adverted vision.

However, the results with clear skies, adverted vision and no moon will be WAY better , i Promise. Dark skies will help you the  most when looking at Deep Sky Objects 
      Also FOR BETTER VIEWS Dont forget to DARK ADDAPT: DARK ADDAPTATION ALLOWS THE EYE TO SEE MUCH FAINTER LIGHT . TO ACHIEVE DARK ADDAPTATION TRY AND SPENDING AROUND 30-40 MINUTES IN DARKNESS ( AND NO CLOSING YOUR EYES FOR 40 MINUTES WONT WORK) And be careful. Even a look at your cell phone will take the dark addaptation effect away. So if you want to see somehow, use red flash torches,as red is the lowest wavelenght in power. 

The views you will get on the orion nebula will be amazing! 
      Guranteed!

• By MikeODay
      The Great Barred Spiral Galaxy (  NGC 1365 ) in the Constellation Fornax

……………………….
      ( edit - star chart added )

The Great Barred Spiral Galaxy ( NGC 1365 ) - Chart   ( please click/tap on image see larger and sharper version )
      A full size ( 6200 x 4407px ) image can be downloaded from here.
      ……………………….
      Details:
      Below the equator, not seen from much of the Northern hemisphere, NGC 1365 passes very nearly directly overhead an observer situated near Cape Town, as Sir John Herschel was in November of 1837 when he discovered this “remarkable nebula” that is numbered 2552 in his book of observations from the Cape.
      Not called a “nebula” now, of course, this striking object is one of the nearest and most studied examples of a barred spiral ( SB ) galaxy that also has an active galactic nuclei resulting in its designation as a Seyfert galaxy.
      At around 60 M light years from Earth, NGC 1365 is still seen to occupy a relatively large area ( 12 by 6 arc minutes ) due to its great size; at some 200,000 light years or so across, NGC 1365 is nearly twice as wide as the Milky Way and considerably wider than both the Sculptor and Andromeda galaxies.
      This High Dynamic Range ( HDR ) image is built up from multiple exposures ranging from 4 to 240 seconds with the aim of capturing the faint detail in the spiral arms of the galaxy whilst also retaining colour in the brightest star ( the orange-red 7th magnitude giant, HD 22425 ).  Also, scattered throughout the image, and somewhat more difficult to see, are numerous and far more distant galaxies.
      Identification:
      The Great Barred Spiral Galaxy
      New General Catalogue -  NGC 1365
      General Catalogue -  GC 731
      John Herschel ( Cape of Good Hope ) # 2552 - Nov 28, 29 1837
      Principal Galaxy Catlogue - PCG 13179
      ESO 358-17
      IRAS 03317-3618
      RA (2000.0) 3h 33m 37.2 s
      DEC (2000.0) -36 deg 8' 36.5"
      10th magnitude Seyfert-type galaxy in the Fornaux cluster of galaxies
      200 Kly diameter
      60 Mly distance
      Capture Details:
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1375mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( 3, 7 & 8 Dec 2018 )
      7 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 4s to 240s ) all at unity gain ( ISO 250).
      140 x 240s + 10 each @ 4s to 120s
      total around 9.7 hrs 
      Processing ( Pixinsight )
      Calibration: master bias, master flat , master dark
      Integration in 7 sets
      HDR combination 
      Links:
      500px.com/MikeODay
      photo.net/photos/MikeODay
      <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-oday">www.flickr.com/photos/mike-oday</a>
      Image Plate Solution
      ===================================
      Resolution ........ 0.586 arcsec/px ( full size image )
      Rotation .......... -0.003 deg  ( North is up )
      Field of view ..... 58' 37" x 38' 55"
      Image center ...... RA: 03 33 36  Dec: -36 08 27
      ===================================

• By Vicky050373
      M31 The Andromeda Galaxy
      Imaged using Skywatcher Equinox 80 PRO ED and Altair Hypercam 183C colour camera
      A total of 24 x 300 second exposures
    • By MikeODay
      Update: 3rd June
      Re-processed to remove slight magenta tint caused by the non-uniform removal of light pollution by the DBE process ( it was being fooled by the very bright image centre ).

The globular star cluster Omega Centauri ( NGC 5139 ) in Centaurus ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )
      A full size image can be found  here.

original below
      A newly captured ( May 2018 ) image of the great southern globular star cluster, Omega Centauri ( NGC 5139 )

Omega Centauri ( NGC 5139 ) in Centaurus - ( please click / tap image to see larger and sharper )
      A full size ( ~ 6000 x 4000 ) image can be found here 
      This image is an attempt to look deeply into the mighty Omega Centauri star cluster and, by using HDR techniques, record as many of its faint members as possible whilst capturing and bringing out the colours of the stars, including in the core.
      Image details:
      Resolution ........ 0.586 arcsec/px ( full size image )
      Rotation .......... 0.00 deg ( up is North )
      Focal ............. 1375.99 mm
      Pixel size ........ 3.91 um
      Field of view ..... 58' 20.9" x 38' 55.1"
      Image center ...... RA: 13 26 45.065 Dec: -47 28 27.26
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher Eq8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)\
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( May 2018 )
      8 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 2s to 240s ) all at ISO 250.
      Processing:
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and master dark
      Integration in 8 sets
      HDR combination 
      Pixinsight May 2018

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.