Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Linux driver for QHY5III492

Xilman

I have been given a nice little QHY5III492 video camera but have not yet found a driver for it under Linux (Ubuntu if that is relevant).

Can anyone help?

TIA, Paul

3 hours ago, malc-c said:

Do you mean QHY5 III 462 ?  - Have searched through current and archived cameras on the QHY website and can't find any reference to a 492 variant.

Yes, the 462. Sorry about that.

INDI website

INDI QHY currently supports all the QHYCCD cameras and filter wheels. Some of the older camera like QHY8 might have some issues, but all camera released from 2015 onwards are supported.

Both mono and color versions are supported.

Under Ubuntu, you can install the driver via:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install indi-qhy

Linux is not like Windows and the drivers are not all commonly available to all programs.  The ASIAir, Astroberry & Stellarate setups use the indilib drivers which will be loaded in one location. If you were using Firecapture that would have access to it's own driver library.

As you mention Ubuntu then you are not likley to be using one of the indilib setups - so what imaging program are you using?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

Linux is not like Windows and the drivers are not all commonly available to all programs.  The ASIAir, Astroberry & Stellarate setups use the indilib drivers which will be loaded in one location. If you were using Firecapture that would have access to it's own driver library.

As you mention Ubuntu then you are not likley to be using one of the indilib setups - so what imaging program are you using?

Right now, none at all under Ubuntu.  My main TCS runs Win10 out of necessity. It is a desktop system which of necessity is located several metres from the telescope. Principal control program is MaximDL with the usual constellations of add-ons. Works just fine with SX cameras, as does EKOS.

I have an RPi3 and a rather nicer Odroid which could be strapped to the mount with all the corresponding advantages including short cable runs. Each runs Ubuntu/Kstars/EKOS at present.

On a development system (the one to which  I am typing, an Acer laptop) nothing (including EKOS) can drive the camera. It is at least recognized, which appears to be the case with almost all systems. However, this may be a sign of my incompetence which is why I ask here.

42 minutes ago, Xilman said:

Right now, none at all under Ubuntu.  My main TCS runs Win10 out of necessity. It is a desktop system which of necessity is located several metres from the telescope. Principal control program is MaximDL with the usual constellations of add-ons. Works just fine with SX cameras, as does EKOS.

I have an RPi3 and a rather nicer Odroid which could be strapped to the mount with all the corresponding advantages including short cable runs. Each runs Ubuntu/Kstars/EKOS at present.

On a development system (the one to which  I am typing, an Acer laptop) nothing (including EKOS) can drive the camera. It is at least recognized, which appears to be the case with almost all systems. However, this may be a sign of my incompetence which is why I ask here.

An x64 Linux distro would let you use Firecapture x64 as that (mentioned above) has qhy drivers. And if you have Ekos setup you should be able to use the indilib qhy drivers, you'll only see an image once its setup with camera & telescope. From a quick google it does appear that the latest Firecapture should work but the indilib drier has slow performance.

• Thanks 1