SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky Watcher, Goto mount problems

Hi everyone,

Im currently having some issues with my goto mount, Im going through all the correct procedures and choosing 2 star Align for the allignment process, starting with Vega as its the easiest and brightest star for me to see at the moment. When it comes to the second part, the mount aligning itself with the second star ( I have been choosing Alkaid) the mount slews off in the compmetely oppossite direction. I have tried this with a few different stars and always have the same results. Any thoughts please guys maybe im doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help!

I do not own a go to mount so I'm not 100% confident my answer is correct.

based on what I know you have to choose both stars manually, the point of the two or three star alignment is so that the mount knows where it is pointing relative to other stars and DSO's. If you are only manually choosing Vega then Alkaid could be in any direction for the mount.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi there, 

I had the same problem and the reason it occurred for me was because I had the incorrect coordinates keyed in. I put in the date incorrectly... I know it might sound simple but it was a mistake I made, check the date format required again

Add to the above that my mount was not as level as it should have, even with this I found it to be still slightly off centre so I made the slight correction needed to centre the target.

Let me know how you get on

Ger

Two thoughts:

First is the customary power source, the mounts will tend to go off somewhere when they power they are getting is even boarderline. Batteries are questionable and many time even the power packs are as they use lead acid batteries and the battery loses the ability to hold charge.

The problem with a battery is they are not designed for this purpose, a slow steady discharge is wrong for them. If you use one and it gets to around 1/2 discharged then the battery will begin to fail/damage. And astronomers tend to stand out there and use them until they will not drive the scope anymore. Which is way past their damage point. Problem is at half discharged they seem fine and people carry on rather then pack up and go home with what appears to be a fully functioning battery and scope.

Next option is simply that is what it should do. They often have end stops and your aiming at Vega may have pushed it into the region were it needed to unwind, or it may have stated in this unwind region - you manual command from the handset likely prevents it unwinding at the very start. When the scope is "allowed" to do the second it decides where Alkaid is and also that it needs to go the long way round, so goes the long way round. Sometimes the manual will say how to start the mount up and tell you to rotate to one end stop then unwind about 1 1/4 turns. Then the scope is in its "central" position. I have one Meade that needs starting at this position and one that will just go round and round forever.

Immaterial of the direction did it go to roughly Alkaid ?

The only addition the previous replies is that the skywatcher goto also needs the scope set to a home position before you switch power on. This gives a correct starting reference point. Usually pointing north and level.

Check your date, time and location settings. From your profile you live in Salford. The coordinates for the centre of Salford are 002 17 W , 53 29 N . The numbers should be entered into the handset in that order and format. Using this website you should be able to locate your exact site for more accuracy. The date should be entered as mm/dd/yyyy , time in 24 hr format and DST is currently ON.. The az goto mount doesn't need to be set to a home position before switching on , just level the base. .

On 11/08/2017 at 08:48, Cornelius Varley said:

Check your date, time and location settings. From your profile you live in Salford. The coordinates for the centre of Salford are 002 17 W , 53 29 N . The numbers should be entered into the handset in that order and format. Using this website you should be able to locate your exact site for more accuracy. The date should be entered as mm/dd/yyyy , time in 24 hr format and DST is currently ON.. The az goto mount doesn't need to be set to a home position before switching on , just level the base. .

Hi peter I stand corrected re the home position after checking my old manual. I has been I while since I had the alt az mount. I must have got into the habit by following an older manual or the procedure for an old Meade etx.

regards will

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, finally got the chance to get the telescope out lastnight, started from the top as usual long,lat,time,date etc and selected brightest star allignment as opposed to 2 star which i usually use. Thank god this time it worked, im sure it was most likely human error when it wasnt working last time. Thanks for all your replies and suggestions much appreciated! 

Archived