Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TEC moving completely to Fluorite?

Interesting comment posted today by the boss of TEC, Yuri, on cloudynights that TEC may move to Fluorite on all its scopes including the TEC140 because Ohara are now pushing fpl55 rather than fpl53. This could change the APO market quite a bit if fpl53 does get phased out.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is interesting.

I think FPL-55 is similar to FPL-53 in terms of optical characteristics, not quite as good perhaps, but easier to polish and figure and to match to regular mating elements.

Perhaps TEC have decided that FPL-55 is not quite good enough for their scopes ?

34 minutes ago, Gavster said:

....Also Yuri mentioned that the price differential for fpl53 and Fluorite had reduced considerably and was now only around $500 for a 140mm. 

Is that because FPL-53 has increased or that Fluorite has decreased in price ? My bet would be the former biut I could be wrong :rolleyes2:

5 minutes ago, John said:

Is that because FPL-53 has increased or that Fluorite has decreased in price ? My bet would be the former biut I could be wrong :rolleyes2:

Probably Fluorite decreasing given the huge volumes of FC100s being produced!

This is very interesting. We know Borg switched to fluorite for their high-end optics some time ago, the fluorite elements are manufactured for them by Canon. My understanding is 'all' genuine fluorite telescope optics are manufactured by Canon, regardless of the telescope brand. Canon developed the manufacturing techniques necessary to produce large diameter fluorite glass (prior to this fluorite lenses were only available in small sizes so were mostly found in microscope objectives) and are still are the only company producing them. Takahashi were the first to put a Canon fluorite objective into a telescope but that was a long time ago, they are not the only ones doing so today. 

Steve

20 hours ago, Gavster said:

This could change the APO market quite a bit if fpl53 does get phased out.

Phasing out FPL53 could mean the humble SW ED doublets could become highly valued collectibles. > £££££ :icon_biggrin:

Mike

Probably a commercial decision based on the ever increasing quality of Chinese's optics. It might be in the long run a need to differentiate their products other than mechanically. Interesting from either side of the fence. I wonder who Ohara's biggest customer is? No one is ever going to think a Synta is as good as a TEC but in three is five years it might a case of 80% of the performance for 50% the price. Maybe TEC need to change this to 60% of the peformance for 50% of the price. The only person that really knows I guess is Yuri.

3 hours ago, Alien_Photons said:

Probably a commercial decision based on the ever increasing quality of Chinese's optics. It might be in the long run a need to differentiate their products other than mechanically. 

Think that's right. Leica and Zeiss are also using fluorite for their spotting scopes.

On 5/18/2017 at 14:36, Highburymark said:

Think that's right. Leica and Zeiss are also using fluorite for their spotting scopes.

Not true, Leica and Zeiss both call their ED elements in their top of the line spotting scopes "fluoride glass" (glasses like FPL53 are fluoride glass, have fluoride melted in as one of the ingredients). Neither use fluorite.

I have ordered an Orion Optics VX 8  F 4.5 with 1/10th wave optics. This will compliment my 100 mm ed F 9 refractor.

They will be easy to set up on my Altair Sabre mount and transportable.

12 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

I have ordered an Orion Optics VX 8  F 4.5 with 1/10th wave optics. This will compliment my 100 mm ed F 9 refractor.

That's nothing like a 150 frac Martin :grin:

Dave

19 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Same focal length so will give same fov

30 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Physically I meant :grin:

Dave

No, I was just wondering how the Newt complemented the frac given the same focal length. Often it's good to have a widerfield frac and higher mag on the larger aperture.

Anyway, I think we are in the wrong thread! No Fluorite to be seen in a Newt!

1 minute ago, Stu said:

No, I was just wondering how the Newt complemented the frac given the same focal length. Often it's good to have a widerfield frac and higher mag on the larger aperture.

Anyway, I think we are in the wrong thread! No Fluorite to be seen in a Newt!

I blame Martin, don't know why he posted it in this thread :grin:

He has  got a thread going on 150mm frac, perhaps you could move it to there Stu.

Dave

On 23 May 2017 at 16:49, laservet said:

Not true, Leica and Zeiss both call their ED elements in their top of the line spotting scopes "fluoride glass" (glasses like FPL53 are fluoride glass, have fluoride melted in as one of the ingredients). Neither use fluorite.

Ok - to get back to fluorite - that's an interesting comment laservet. Certainly Kowa is making fluorite spotters, and there are lots of reviews of Leica and Zeiss fluorite spotters - but dig a bit deeper and looks like you're right. Lesson is never trust online reviews.....

As I understand it, Canon are the only lens manufacturer that makes fluorite objectives or at least fluorite elements ?

They make the objectives for Takahashi and used to make them for Vixen I believe.

Do TEC make their own objectives or do Canon supply some elements ?

Archived