SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TEC moving completely to Fluorite?

On 17.5.2017 at 19:35, Gavster said:

Interesting comment posted today by the boss of TEC, Yuri, on cloudynights that TEC may move to Fluorite on all its scopes including the TEC140 because Ohara are now pushing fpl55 rather than fpl53. This could change the APO market quite a bit if fpl53 does get phased out.

Where did you see that on CN? Could you please post a link to that CN thread?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

There was a further update from Yuri of TEC today. He stated that he had 30 fpl53 blanks available for new TEC140s and then he is going to have to redesign the scope design to incorporate either Ohara  fpl55 or (what seems to be his preference) Fluorite. The Fluorite option would be around $500-$800 more than the current fpl53 version. I think this would be the biggest change in design for the TEC140 in its 15 year history. A Fluorite 140mm triplet by TEC - surely would be a cracking scope!!!

I have a feeling that TEC will go to Fluorite rather than FPL-55 - the latter would be seen as a (small) step down in quality from FPL-53 which might put TEC's reputation as really top end scope at risk.

Incidently, Markus Ludes at APM has told me that there are just 9 more 130mm F/9.2 LZOS triplet objectives available which will take the total run of the 130 F/9 fracs to 114 since it was introduced in 2005.  LZOS are reverting to making military production so no more civillian optics for the foreseeable future. They make their own glasses of course so use neither Ohara or Fluorite.

As I understand it, the choice of glass for the matching elements is just as important as the low dispersion choice. Plus the figuring, coating and mounting of course !

Archived