NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

what should i use of eyepieces for celestron 130mm?

hey guys, im reallly new to this, and ive bought a celesron astro fi 130mm newtonian telescope. but i really dont know what should i buy next for making the observation more clear? any advices? thank you so much. 

does your scope have 10mm and 25mm KE eyepieces as shown on celestron webpage?
I don't know anything about those, someone surely will, those may be actually usable eyepieces.

What do you want to view? What are your issues with observation? Short eye relief, narrow field of view, lack of clarity along the edges, small magnification, trouble with focus? What bothers you with current eyepieces? And, what is your budget?

Maybe buying an OKish barlow lens, like the celestron omni 2x barlow would be enough for now and would make you happy for months.

13 minutes ago, kilix said:

does your scope have 10mm and 25mm KE eyepieces as shown on celestron webpage?
I don't know anything about those, someone surely will, those may be actually usable eyepieces.

What do you want to view? What are your issues with observation? Short eye relief, narrow field of view, lack of clarity along the edges, small magnification, trouble with focus? What bothers you with current eyepieces? And, what is your budget?

Maybe buying an OKish barlow lens, like the celestron omni 2x barlow would be enough for now and would make you happy for months.

thank you so much! yes it comes with 10mm and 25mm eye pieces. but id like to maximaz the magnification, but im troubling to find suitable eye pieces after i read the top of "Eyepieces - the very least you need"( very useful indeed) i ve tested my magnification vis the tools which gives me the maximaiz of 2mm, but the topic suggested a 3.75-4mm epc, so i dont really know which one to buy. my budget is around £20-50 for epc and same range of barlows. thx!

I would advise that you start by using the eyepieces you've got to try to get an idea of what they are lacking for the targets that you want to observe. 

With regards to eyepieces it depends how much you are wanting to spend. The BST Starguiders at £49 each are a good upgrade and well worth the money. For an f5 scope like yours I would be inclined to start with the 12mm for DSOs and the 5mm for planets. The 25mm you got with the scope is probably better quality than the 10mm, or at least disguise its weaknesses better, and so won't be as critical to upgrade. 

6 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

I would advise that you start by using the eyepieces you've got to try to get an idea of what they are lacking for the targets that you want to observe. 

With regards to eyepieces it depends how much you are wanting to spend. The BST Starguiders at £49 each are a good upgrade and well worth the money. For an f5 scope like yours I would be inclined to start with the 12mm for DSOs and the 5mm for planets. The 25mm you got with the scope is probably better quality than the 10mm, or at least disguise its weaknesses better, and so won't be as critical to upgrade. 

thx alot, yeah i think i should get along with the scope first, haha!

The Vixen NPL plossls are decent eyepieces for the money and not far below the more expensive Televue plossls in terms of sharpness and quality.  A 25, 15 and 10mm combined with a 2X barlow will give you plenty of options (it will be like having 6 eyepieces with the barlow).

I'm using a 130mm newt and went for the BST Explorer/Starguider. Only got the 8mm at the moment but will be buying more soon. A Barlow is worth getting. Revelation do a 2x that can also be used as a 1.5x which will help with getting a good range of focal lengths from a small number of eyepieces. 

https://www.telescopehouse.com/revelation-astro-2x-barlow-lens.html

The first eyepiece I bought to replace my original supplied 10mm was the 8mm BST Starguider. You won't be disappointed with the build and quality of the eyepiece, but a lot also depends on the quality of the scope, its setup and the conditions your viewing through, also your ability to look long enough and get your eyes properly accustomed to the dark, get away from any light source.

Your scope is an f/5 ratio, a 5mm eyepiece would provide a reasonable  maximum power  for looking at the Moon and maybe the planets, but an 8mm or 12mm will give you more detail, but with a smaller image, this is always the case, either side of any chosen eyepiece.

I owned their 127EQ and better eyepieces made not a lot of difference to the observation you desire tbh. 

Getting the scope collimated, cooled and aligned, and having good seeing conditions all go to help your viewing sessions that much bigger. 

You would also probably  find that a larger apertured telescope, even using the same eyepieces ( and they would be the same, its almost a standard as to what they provide ) would improve the image  quality. This is the effect I noted when I upgraded my scope to the present one in my signature block.

But for know, just try the any method to get you and the scope in as dark a place as possible, and try and get the best from what you already have. I'm fixed for a few Years now with the 8" and my BST's. the only scope upgrade I would consider now is something like an ED80+ for imaging, but as my skies are cloudy most of the winter and twilight through the Summer, even an astro-photography setup is a far away dream?

16 minutes ago, Charic said:

The first eyepiece I bought to replace my original supplied 10mm was the 8mm BST Starguider. You won't be disappointed with the build and quality of the eyepiece, but a lot also depends on the quality of the scope, its setup and the conditions your viewing through, also your ability to look long enough and get your eyes properly accustomed to the dark, get away from any light source.

Your scope is an f/5 ratio, a 5mm eyepiece would provide a reasonable  maximum power  for looking at the Moon and maybe the planets, but an 8mm or 12mm will give you more detail, but with a smaller image, this is always the case, either side of any chosen eyepiece.

I owned their 127EQ and better eyepieces made not a lot of difference to the observation you desire tbh. 

Getting the scope collimated, cooled and aligned, and having good seeing conditions all go to help your viewing sessions that much bigger. 

You would also probably  find that a larger apertured telescope, even using the same eyepieces ( and they would be the same, its almost a standard as to what they provide ) would improve the image  quality. This is the effect I noted when I upgraded my scope to the present one in my signature block.

But for know, just try the any method to get you and the scope in as dark a place as possible, and try and get the best from what you already have. I'm fixed for a few Years now with the 8" and my BST's. the only scope upgrade I would consider now is something like an ED80+ for imaging, but as my skies are cloudy most of the winter and twilight through the Summer, even an astro-photography setup is a far away dream?

thx pal, its really useful and im now considering to buy a 8mm BST Starguider first and maybe 5mm later. but i saw the barlows of Starguider are short barlows, are there any diferences? thx

34 minutes ago, Starpaw said:

The Vixen NPL plossls are decent eyepieces for the money and not far below the more expensive Televue plossls in terms of sharpness and quality.  A 25, 15 and 10mm combined with a 2X barlow will give you plenty of options (it will be like having 6 eyepieces with the barlow).

yeah, barlows are definete

A short, shorty or small Barlow allows you some benefit if/when used in conjunction with other kit, such as a filter wheel, and there is a general feeling from various forums that folk prefer a longer Barlow?

I have two Barlow’s, a Sky-Watcher Deluxe and a Meade Tele-negative.
As  full units, neither Barlow gets much use, however  with the Sky-watcher De-luxe, I often just remove the Barlow lens, and attach the lens only (without the body/extension tube) directly to the eyepiece in use offering roughly 1.6x factor!

Many folk also choose not to use a Barlow, due to the extra amount of glass surfaces in the optical train, but some of the most expensive eyepieces out there have inbuilt barrows, and work very well. There's no simple cheap solution?

A Barlow also maintains most of the eye-relief, so if using say an 6mm Plossl with its very short eye-relief, the 12mm Plossl with Barlow combination would offer the same power, with more eye-relief. more comfortable for the end user.

A lot depends what you want to spend. Prices can range from about 25 pounds for a basic but reasonable quality Plossl to several hundred for a top of the range EP!

In addition to the magnification that an EP will give, it's worth considering two other factors: field of view and eye relief. Field of view, measured in degrees, is how wide you can see while eye relief is how close your eyeball needs to be to the EP glass. Many people find extended viewing with their eye very close to the EP can become uncomfortable. Plossls are an excellent EP design but higher magnification versions (with a focal length number lower than 8 or 10 mm) suffer from poor eye relief and also have a narrow field of view. Orthoscopic EPs such as the Baader Classic are also very good indeed but again have the same problems as Plossls. An additional advantage of using a Barlow is that it will keep the original eye-relief of the EP - thus you will get better eye relief using a Plossl 10mm with a x2 Barlow than using a 5mm Plossl on its own. Beware however, a poor Barlow with a poor EP will only double up poor viewing. Celestron Omni, Revelation and Antares all make very acceptable Barlows at about 30-40 pounds.

The BST Explorer or Starguider (both are brands of the same EP, along with Paradigm and one or two other names!) is a step up with both better field of view and eye relief - and although a little more expensive, it is still an excellent value entry level eyepiece.

Kiraw, since you did not specify what bothers you with your current eyepieces (maybe nothing?), I advice you to just use the kit you have and find out what you want/need. If it is only magnification that you require now, buying a barlow lens with removable optical element bay be a good, fast and cheap solution.

In your budget:

SkyWatcher deluxe 2x barlow has a removable optical part, which - when used by itself -  will give you an additional 1.5x mag. This, with your scope and your current eyepieces will give you 130x, 97x, 65x, 52x, 39x, 26x magnifications, which are anice selection.

58f5afe5b767b_148206157281contain.jpg.61cf2fb11ab46d961d95f7f12dcce52a.jpg

Celestron omni barlow is the same thing only with a different sticker.

Another beast in your budget may be Baader Q Barlow, which will give you 2.25x and an additional 1.3x when using only optical part. That will give you magnifications (with current EPs) 146x, 84x, 65x, 58x, 33x, 26x.

baader_qbarlow.jpg.cb0016fe7b321d6efafde17a4cd9bb56.jpg

Everything is nice, but with your current scope you may want to go to mags at about 200x. So, buying a 6-7mm eyepiece (one of the suggested above) in addition to the barlow lens will solve this.

Archived