Narrowband

Help with skywatcher 200p

Hi all

I have a skywatcher 200P.

I have only got 2 eyepieces.

1: super 10mm. 

2: super 25 wide angle long eye relief.

Can anyone recommend how many eyepieces I will need   and which one's  are best for a beginner.

Also I have lost the dustcap to the viewer do you know where I can get a replacement for it ( have added a picture the part I am looking for)

Mark 

20220122_125919.jpg

20220117_133157.jpg

Hi,

Here's a recent thread with the same question, although your budget might be different:

And a sticky thread with some good advice:

Although that latter thread was from a while ago and I think the advice about getting a barlow is not so important to owners of fast scopes, as 'budget' eyepieces can now be found that don't suffer from really tight eye-relief or tiny lenses - such as the ubiquitously recommended BST Starguiders.

Sorry, but I can't answer your question about that missing piece.

If you can't find a replacement cover, as a workaround try a collimation cap and put some tape over the hole.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/rigel-aline-collimation-cap.html

Edit: a quick google came up with this: https://www.nipon-scope.com/lens-caps-covers/31.5mm-lens-cap-cover-for-telescopes-binoculars-monocular-and-eyepieces-b-31.5x8mm-b-.-plastic

Edited by Dark Vader
More info
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/01/2022 at 13:04, O2B3 said:

Hi all

I have a skywatcher 200P.

I have only got 2 eyepieces.

1: super 10mm. 

2: super 25 wide angle long eye relief.

Can anyone recommend how many eyepieces I will need   and which one's  are best for a beginner.

Also I have lost the dustcap to the viewer do you know where I can get a replacement for it ( have added a picture the part I am looking for)

Mark 

20220122_125919.jpg

20220117_133157.jpg

There's a Fellow on ebay who is selling dust plugs which will fit this.....Admin are we allowed to post ebay links please?

• Thanks 1

Rather like @Spile, I found getting good zoom EP (in my case, an OVL Hyperflex) gives you a clear idea of what magnifications you like or need. Very high mags are rarely satisfactory unless seeing conditions are perfect, so I'd avoid sub-4mm EPs in your scope at first. A good-quality low mag EP is useful, as zooms give narrow fields of view at lower mags. I use a Vixen 30mm NPL, which is by far the best value for money EP that I have.

Once you've identified which mags you want, you can gradually build up your fixed f/l eyepiece collection.

My first EP purchases for my 200P were a StellaLyra 32mm and 15mm Superview - nice low mag, wide angle to make locating objects easy on the 32mm, then just over twice the mag for the 15mm. Both very good value for money. Couple that with a decent 2" Barlow and you'll have effectively 4 EPs to play with. 

Edited by OK Apricot
  • Like 1

My first EPs for my 200P Dob were BSTs (8, 15 and 25mm). The 8 and 15 were the best and marginal improvement of the 25 over the provided one. There are some BSTs on sale in classifieds at the moment. I have seen then moved to wide FOV EPs. Regarding the dust cup, you can leave your 1.25" extension focuser in there since it comes with a dust cup as well (that's how I have my Dob set).

On 22/01/2022 at 13:39, Dark Vader said:

If you can't find a replacement cover, as a workaround try a collimation cap and put some tape over the hole.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/rigel-aline-collimation-cap.html

Edit: a quick google came up with this: https://www.nipon-scope.com/lens-caps-covers/31.5mm-lens-cap-cover-for-telescopes-binoculars-monocular-and-eyepieces-b-31.5x8mm-b-.-plastic

Re the dust cup. I leave the 1.25 inch extension tube in and as suggested above, use the collimation cap with tape over the hole. I find the collimation cap really useful to check collimation before every session by looking down the little hole just to make sure everything is in order. 

• Like 2