Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TV-60 or Tak FS-60Q?

6 minutes ago, moriniboy said:

TV60 is more compact though for travelling.

Quite true. And it's lovely. But if I can get the Tak 60 with the "Q" module - and/or indeed the 76mm extension - into one cabin-sized rucksack, that would be sweet indeed. :icon_biggrin:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, iPeace said:

P.S. I will *not* promise not to get a TV76, and / or indeed a TV60, nonetheless... :grin: But it may have to wait a while, we'll see.

Its funny, but even though I have the excellent Tak 76, I would still love a Televue 76.  There is something about it, that just makes me want it. Have done since it was launched.  Perhaps one day....

:icon_biggrin:

7 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

Its funny, but even though I have the excellent Tak 76, I would still love a Televue 76.  There is something about it, that just makes me want it. Have done since it was launched.  Perhaps one day....

:icon_biggrin:

I do agree Matthew, although I think I would chose an 85 as it's a different proposition to the Tak 76

6 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I like the idea of a 60 mm frac but do any offer a reasonably short focal length? 

Alan

Yeah I think the Tak FS60cb is like 350mm Focal length, hows that sound? :) 

3 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Yeah I think the Tak FS60cb is like 350mm Focal length, hows that sound? :) 

Its along the right lines but I was thinking more like 240 mm which would make it f/4, not an impossible task I would have thought at these small apertures.

Alan 

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Mike, if you need to scratch your TV76 itch, do it secondhand! It's a bit like buying a Jaguar vs buying a Ferrari. You will lose a fortune on the Televue, you won't on the Tak.

I'm rather fond of the Ferrari I bought Susie "supposedly" as HER birthday present...

The Jaguar never quite delivered the same wow moments. Got moved on a lot quicker...

Still can't justify it. But it's something I've given up trying to do ?

3 hours ago, Stu said:

I would have another Tak FC76DC in a flash, but I now know the FC100DC would go in cabin baggage too, so that's my ultimate travel scope.

IMG_2359.JPG

IMG_2700.JPG

Stu, how did you manage to get the 100 to such a small size that its cabin baggage? 

Chris

23 minutes ago, Cjg said:

Stu, how did you manage to get the 100 to such a small size that its cabin baggage? 

Chris

Magic! ;) 

Actually I remove the focuser, which in my case is a Feathertouch. I then remove the dewshield which slides back over the body of the scope (with some padding to prevent scratches.

The case is a Pelicase 1510 which is carry on baggage size for most major airlines but not some of the low cost ones. You have to watch weight too; some habe a 10kg limit, others don't. Either way the scope would easily go in a backpack to keep weight down. In this case though, it also carries the Giro-WR head plus diagonal and eyepieces.

Note that I have yet to have the opportunity to take the scope abroad, but I fully intend to at the next chance I get.

Thank you! After a magic time in France, I'd love to head back to Samos, this time with my scope....Your report from your time there with what was it then, a TV 60 I've saved.

We stayed in a partly finished hotel on the hillside above Pythagorion!

Chris

Spanner in the works...my supplier has just reported unavailability of the Tak 60 until June. Bah.

:angry:

I'm thinking that I actually just want a Tak 76 with a divisible tube for travel. Hoping to find a solution; may not get it done in time for next trip. We'll see.

To be continued.

52 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Spanner in the works...my supplier has just reported unavailability of the Tak 60 until June. Bah.

:angry:

I'm thinking that I actually just want a Tak 76 with a divisible tube for travel. Hoping to find a solution; may not get it done in time for next trip. We'll see.

To be continued.

If the scope mule can help buddy...

On 02/04/2017 at 11:07, iPeace said:

Indeed; it's just a bit too much for airline travel, hence... :happy11:

P.S. Very well, it's WAY too much for airline travel. Need something much lighter and more compact; love the fact that the Tak breaks down for transport.

Is it? Why? I had an early 'Pearl River' Genesis, 4 inch F5, and with the diagonal removed I made it a box which was hand luggage compatible. For me that was a fantastic travel scope. Tom regularly flies with his FSQ106 as carry-on, by prior arrangement, and that is a big scope by comparison.

To my mind the Tak 60 has too much of the Tak price tag and not enough of the Tak action to make total sense. Surely you could carry on an 85, with a little thought, and see more while paying less?

Olly

22 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Its along the right lines but I was thinking more like 240 mm which would make it f/4, not an impossible task I would have thought at these small apertures.

Alan 

The shortest I can think of is that posh finder at 330mm FL, although it's f/6.6

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5632_TS-Optics-50mm-f-6-6-APO-Doublet-Refractor---Day-Night-Scope-and-Tele-Objective.html

@iPeace now the above might be the ultimate in compactness for travel scopes, you could probably keep it behind your ear! :icon_biggrin:

34 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Is it? Why? I had an early 'Pearl River' Genesis, 4 inch F5, and with the diagonal removed I made it a box which was hand luggage compatible. For me that was a fantastic travel scope. Tom regularly flies with his FSQ106 as carry-on, by prior arrangement, and that is a big scope by comparison.

To my mind the Tak 60 has too much of the Tak price tag and not enough of the Tak action to make total sense. Surely you could carry on an 85, with a little thought, and see more while paying less?

Olly

Well, perhaps I could at that. As availability - lack thereof - has prompted a re-think, I suppose anything goes.

I may just take the bins for widefield and bring along my cheap and cheerful Mak 102 for lunar and planetary. Less weight and less worry about loss or damage, plenty of fun. It's not as if I'm off to an ultimate dark sky location. I would just like to get a bit more Luna, Jupiter and Saturn from my hotel room balcony observatory.

Thanks for this.

:happy11:

10 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

The shortest I can think of is that posh finder at 330mm FL, although it's f/6.6

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5632_TS-Optics-50mm-f-6-6-APO-Doublet-Refractor---Day-Night-Scope-and-Tele-Objective.html

@iPeace now the above might be the ultimate travel scope, you could probably keep it behind your ear! :icon_biggrin:

Yes, thinking along those lines I actually tried a smallish frac of a non-premium brand, but had to send it back as it was really sub-par. Not like the INED70 I foolishly did away with...

:rolleyes2:

7 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Yes, thinking along those lines I actually tried a smallish frac of a non-premium brand, but had to send it back as it was really sub-par. Not like the INED70 I foolishly did away with...

:rolleyes2:

Ha that sounds familiar, like when I foolishly did away with my WO66 and Meg72.

How about another INED70 in that case?

2 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Ha that sounds familiar, like when I foolishly did away with my WO66 and Meg72.

How about another INED70 in that case?

Things happen for a reason. That is an option; perhaps I'm supposed to bring the Mak along this time.

:happy9:

1 minute ago, iPeace said:

Things happen for a reason. That is an option; perhaps I'm supposed to bring the Mak along this time.

:happy9:

Them there 4" Maks don't half pack a punch for their dimensions on the planets, globs, and the Moon.. I could think of worse things to take :) 

Where are you going on holiday, Mike?

I made the mistake of taking a C6 SCT to the Caribbean a couple of years ago and dew/condensation was a nightmare as I couldn't leave the scope outside so it was moving between air-conditioned hotel room and 30 degrees+ and high humidity when I wanted to use it. An interesting anti-cooling problem!

44 minutes ago, DRT said:

Where are you going on holiday, Mike?

I made the mistake of taking a C6 SCT to the Caribbean a couple of years ago and dew/condensation was a nightmare as I couldn't leave the scope outside so it was moving between air-conditioned hotel room and 30 degrees+ and high humidity when I wanted to use it. An interesting anti-cooling problem!

Actually, I was pondering this. I will be in the Aegean last two weeks of May. I have the option of just leaving it on the hotel room balcony, the thinking being that it would always be acclimated to the outside temperature. Humidity is not so bad there, so perhaps that would work?

Archived