NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TV-60 or Tak FS-60Q?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Good choice :) 

I like the green, but unless there's a matching focuser on the OTA, it sort of looks out of place, I think... oh well, it's for looking through, not at. He said, clearly in denial. :grin:

I love the Tak clam shells best. The scope tube is so easy to slide through the clam shell for rebalancing, they are inflexible, look great and are pure Tak. They still look good on a scope with a black focuser, at least I think so!

Mike

2017-03-19 12.39.25.jpg

2017-04-04 22.33.57.jpg

12 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Order placed - incoming!

:hello2:

Congratulations that's quite an order you've placed there! :headbang:  and we of course want to hear all about it once it all lands :) 

I'm SO jealous! I've got to pay for a stupid car clutch and timing belt to be fitted instead of something exciting like a Tak...not fair :icon_biggrin:

21 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I love the Tak clam shells best. The scope tube is so easy to slide through the clam shell for rebalancing, they are inflexible, look great and are pure Tak. They still look good on a scope with a black focuser, at least I think so!

Mike

2017-03-19 12.39.25.jpg

2017-04-04 22.33.57.jpg

@Stu

1 hour ago, iPeace said:

Hmmm, I used clamshells on my FC76DC and now have rings on the FC100DC.

Both work very well, something tells me rings are a little lighter and hold the scope slightly more rigidly, but I've never had them side by side.

1 hour ago, Racey said:

How much do I owe you as a contribution for having had Susie mug you at Schiphol for that 70 ?? :icon_scratch:

Things happen for a reason. Or several reasons. Thinking of all that has happened - perhaps not all of it ideal, but least said, soonest mended - and all the good it has led to. And all the good yet to come. :icon_biggrin:

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Mike

2017-03-19 12.39.25.jpg

2017-04-04 22.33.57.jpg

They do look the business. Who knows, we may yet.

6 hours ago, iPeace said:

Things happen for a reason. Or several reasons. Thinking of all that has happened - perhaps not all of it ideal, but least said, soonest mended - and all the good it has led to. And all the good yet to come. :icon_biggrin:

Did you mean "all the GOODS it has led to. And all the GOODS yet to come" ???

On 02/04/2017 at 10:03, Stu said:

I tend to agree that I think Taks are optically a step ahead of Televue.

I have had a whole range of small scopes

Tak FS-60C

WO ZS SDmm

Televue 76mm

Tak FC-76DC

Stellarvue 80ED

Televue 85mm

Tak Sky 90

There may be a few I've missed.

The Tak 60 was sharper and better than WO66.

The Tak 76 was sharper, less CA and less scatter than Televue 76. It broke down into pieces suitable for airline travel i.e. Hand luggage and was much lighter than the 76. That's not to take anything away from the 76 which is something which I would always enjoy owning, such lovely engineering and build quality, made to last a lifetime or two!

The Televue 85 is a gorgeous scope (you've got one, correct?) The aperture is a lovely compromise but it is too heavy and long for practical air travel (although perfect for taking in the car)

The Sky 90 I thought was awful, but I suspect perhaps the one I had was misaligned although I could not see it specifically. I bought it for widefield use, and suspect it is better at higher powers.

So, I think the Tak FS60Q is a great option, even better with a 76mm objective upgrade.

You may have read my Samos report using a FC-76DC, lovely scope.

Stu, 

I've just noticed your comment about the televue 85 being too heavy and long for air travel. With a length of 48cm excluding the diagonal and a weight including diagonal of 3.6kg I thought it would be ok to fit in the Peli 1510 case? This was the scope I was going to take to The Southern Hemisphere with me (in about ten years time when the children are older ?...). Or indeed closer to home in Europe. 

Gavin

16 minutes ago, Gavster said:

Stu, 

I've just noticed your comment about the televue 85 being too heavy and long for air travel. With a length of 48cm excluding the diagonal and a weight including diagonal of 3.6kg I thought it would be ok to fit in the Peli 1510 case? This was the scope I was going to take to The Southern Hemisphere with me (in about ten years time when the children are older ?...). Or indeed closer to home in Europe. 

Gavin

Hi Gavin,

My apologies if I am giving wrong information. My comment was based upon gut feel of what I could manage to take on a normal holiday trip. This usually involves fitting the scope into a rucksack along with other travel requirements.

My feeling was that the TV76 was quite a lump to take and when I moved up to the 85 it just felt too much to take. That was a personal feeling, not one based upon using the limits of what you are allowed to take, so please take my comments in that way.

The FC100DC just feels so much lighter and more compact once disassembled, whether is actually is or not is a different matter based upon what you have said!

I took a Tak FC76DC abroad a couple of times and it felt quite manageable, again in the context of taking other stuff you normally take for a family holiday.

The FC100DC in the Pelicase 1510 would be heavy and would take up all my cabin baggage allowance. If I packed it carefully in a rucksack then it would be less well protected but would allow me much more room for other stuff.

Olly's comment on the TV Genesis is also correct, they always felt quite light for their size and with the focuser removed I'm sure would be easy to take on board. In many ways I would love another Genesis for the very wide and flat field views they provide, it just requires me getting my head around the CA on higher mag/brighter targets.

So, TV85 is airline portable, my comments were subjective based upon what I felt comfortable taking, hope that's clear/ok? :) 

Back on topic, apologies to the OP

25 minutes ago, Gavster said:

Stu, 

Gavin

Not that far off topic, actually.

I agree that it could work and if you just get on with it, it will be fine.

It's indeed more of a mental thing; the TV85 just doesn't feel like a travel scope and I will go to some length not to have to drag Stanley onto an airplane. Certainly will not fit under the seat in front of you.

However, it does deserve the best skies so if astronomy was the primary purpose of the trip I would probably make my arrangements accordingly.

39 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Or the middle ground for the truly dedicated casual astronomer: the FC-76DC.

:icon_biggrin:

Having got a couple of Taks I'm sure you will love your new purchase. You have the bases covered with 60. 76 and 85mm! Please let us know what you think when you get it.

My supplier has notified me that one of the bits I ordered, meant to make up this combination, has been lost in transport from Takahashi to him - and there will be no new stock until the beginning of June.

Can't find an emoticon which is quite appropriate...

In any case, we have agreed to wait another week to see whether the parcel surfaces unscathed.

Trying to get this scope, and a diagonal for it, to take on holiday is proving a challenge. Some sort of force of providence, perhaps? It's always good for something in the end. We'll see.

In the mean time, my sense of humour sustains me, as does my excellent, long-suffering TV85. Could hardly be better, and certainly much worse.

To be continued.

:happy11:

Archived