Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TV-60 or Tak FS-60Q?

1 hour ago, Chris Lock said:

Them there 4" Maks don't half pack a punch for their dimensions on the planets, globs, and the Moon.. I could think of worse things to take :) 

In fact, I'm out with mine at the moment, enjoying Luna immensely.

:icon_biggrin:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ask about the availability of the FC-76 Objective Unit as there is a shortage of FS-60s. To make up the split tube FC-76DCU you need the following:

2” Feathertouch focuser (I recommend the FTF2015BCR-LW) at around £430,

the Starlight Instruments Takahashi Adaptor (part number A20-302) at £80, 

the FS-60CB tube (part number TSK06211) at £95, 

and the FC-76DC objective upgrade (TFK07650) which costs £931.

2 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

Ask about the availability of the FC-76 Objective Unit as there is a shortage of FS-60s. To make up the split tube FC-76DCU you need the following:

This I can do, thanks!

On 2 April 2017 at 23:47, Stu said:

Magic! ;) 

Actually I remove the focuser, which in my case is a Feathertouch. I then remove the dewshield which slides back over the body of the scope (with some padding to prevent scratches.

The case is a Pelicase 1510 which is carry on baggage size for most major airlines but not some of the low cost ones. You have to watch weight too; some habe a 10kg limit, others don't. Either way the scope would easily go in a backpack to keep weight down. In this case though, it also carries the Giro-WR head plus diagonal and eyepieces.

Note that I have yet to have the opportunity to take the scope abroad, but I fully intend to at the next chance I get.

Just to back up what Stu posted, I bought my FC-100DC a few months ago on the basis it was airline cabin portable. It takes some careful packing, and maybe travelling with the right airline, but it's a truly portable telescope. Like Stu I have yet to take it abroad, but can't wait to do so

9 hours ago, iPeace said:

Actually, I was pondering this. I will be in the Aegean last two weeks of May. I have the option of just leaving it on the hotel room balcony, the thinking being that it would always be acclimated to the outside temperature. Humidity is not so bad there, so perhaps that would work?

That would work if your balcony is secure. The problem I had was that our room was on the ground floor with a patio that faced directly onto a public beach so I could not have safely left anything valuable lying outside :sad:

9 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

That is exactly what I did! Works brilliantly and is a lovely little scope.

9 hours ago, iPeace said:

Actually, I was pondering this. I will be in the Aegean last two weeks of May. I have the option of just leaving it on the hotel room balcony, the thinking being that it would always be acclimated to the outside temperature. Humidity is not so bad there, so perhaps that would work?

Hmmm... I'm sure the room cleaners will be careful if they are giving the balcony a sweep or clean. But i wouldn't wish to leave anything where it might be "nudged" by anyone less careful or aware as Susie or me...

3 hours ago, DRT said:

That would work if your balcony is secure. The problem I had was that our room was on the ground floor with a patio that faced directly onto a public beach so I could not have safely left anything valuable lying outside :sad:

Indeed. I think this will be OK. If someone can climb up to this balcony from ground level, they're welcome to it. :grin:

2 hours ago, Racey said:

Hmmm... I'm sure the room cleaners will be careful if they are giving the balcony a sweep or clean. But i wouldn't wish to leave anything where it might be "nudged" by anyone less careful or aware as Susie or me...

Room cleaners? We don't all travel that up-market... :grin: Well, actually, we do.

Yes, that did cross my mind. Should be fine in a corner of the balcony. With a large, neon CAUTION - RADIOACTIVE sign. Razor wire. I'll design something.

Pending my inquiries into a 76mm Tak assembly, of course... :happy11:

4 minutes ago, iPeace said:

With a large, neon CAUTION - RADIOACTIVE sign. Razor wire. I'll design something.

Just leave Helen standing guard while you wander out matey... :hiding:

12 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

I just shot this inquiry off to my supplier. Absolutely brilliant of you Matthew, thanks a bundle! :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, Racey said:

Just leave Helen standing guard while you wander out matey... :hiding:

No worries. The staff are brilliant. They'll just clean the razor wire for me while we're out on the beach sipping drinks with little parasols sticking out.

16 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

Curious to know: given that the lightweight Feathertouch focuser is available with three different draw tube lengths (1.5", 2", 2.5") did you have a specific reason for choosing the shortest one? Would having a 2" or a 2.5" drawtube be a problem for this scope?

In the first instance I was obsessed with keeping weight to absolute minimum but we are talking a few grams saved at most. Secondly, it was also the focused that my supplier suggested.

I do not think there would be any issue with a longer drawtube. It could be useful to have.  I would highlight that I have not yet found an eyepiece that won't focus with a 2" diagonal and my specific focuser with the FC-76 (all Tele Vue).

Just now, DirkSteele said:

In the first instance I was obsessed with keeping weight to absolute minimum but we are talking a few grams saved at most. Secondly, it was also the focused that my supplier suggested.

I do not think there would be any issue with a longer drawtube. It could be useful to have.  I would highlight that I have not yet found an eyepiece that won't focus with a 2" diagonal and my specific focuser with the FC-76 (all Tele Vue).

Saving weight does make sense, and I suppose if I managed to come up with an eyepiece/diagonal combination that wouldn't focus due to lack of drawtube length, I could use an extension tube, none the worse. Easier to add than to take away.

:icon_biggrin:

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Tak FC-76 assembly reportedly deliverable within a week...order pending... :hello2:

Excellent stuff!

I had both the shorter 1.5" lightweight and the longer 2.5" standard Feathertouch, but I also had a short back tube and a standard back tube to the OTA so could play around with optical path lengths.

Using a 2" diagonal obviously reduces the need for extension tubes but weighs more, probably offsetting the saving on the focuser. It does give you the potential for wider fields of view, but I think I usually travelled with a 24mm Pan as my widest and used a 1.25" diagonal.

I'm sure it will work out just fine, you will just have to do a bit of playing around to reach the best setup.

Quite jealous actually, I loved the little 76 I had.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Excellent stuff!

I had both the shorter 1.5" lightweight and the longer 2.5" standard Feathertouch, but I also had a short back tube and a standard back tube to the OTA so could play around with optical path lengths.

Using a 2" diagonal obviously reduces the need for extension tubes but weighs more, probably offsetting the saving on the focuser. It does give you the potential for wider fields of view, but I think I usually travelled with a 24mm Pan as my widest and used a 1.25" diagonal.

I'm sure it will work out just fine, you will just have to do a bit of playing around to reach the best setup.

I was advised to go for the standard, non-lightweight FTF2025BCR, as this is the one reportedly advised to my supplier by Takahashi and - also important - it's in stock, while the -LW version is not. It is reportedly less than 140g heavier, so I'm not bothered in advance, we'll see, and I could do much worse than this focuser. :happy11: If I feel the need, I can always upgrade again to a -LW version, this one should hold its value pretty well. :icon_biggrin:

I realize that this perhaps doesn't quite equate with what Matthew's (@DirkSteele) supplier suggested to him - namely, a -LW version of the focuser - but I'm satisfied this is a fair wind to sail by for the time being.

I will be using a Baader T-2 astro-quality amici prism, with 1.25" eyepieces only. Looks like an ES 24/68, a Baader Mark IV Zoom, a Pentax SMC XL Zoom (the shoot-out continues) and the Nagler 3-6 Zoom. Perhaps the Nagler 2-4 Zoom as well. We'll see.

But it's not going anywhere with me until I test it properly. :grin: Only if all the Tak-fuss you all continually make turns out to be justified will there be a padded airline cabin-sized rucksack. Oh, and a travel mount.

26 minutes ago, iPeace said:

I was advised to go for the standard, non-lightweight FTF2025BCR, as this is the one reportedly advised to my supplier by Takahashi and - also important - it's in stock, while the -LW version is not. It is reportedly less than 140g heavier, so I'm not bothered in advance, we'll see, and I could do much worse than this focuser. :happy11: If I feel the need, I can always upgrade again to a -LW version, this one should hold its value pretty well. :icon_biggrin:

I think that is the right move Mike. Just to through more confusion in, there is also an LW 2.5" version but I think the standard makes more sense, not much heavier and less expensive do to the reduced amount of machining needed.

Just now, Stu said:

I think that is the right move Mike. Just to through more confusion in, there is also an LW 2.5" version but I think the standard makes more sense, not much heavier and less expensive do to the reduced amount of machining needed.

Yes, I bounced the LW 2.5" version off my supplier after he advised the standard one; he replied that this was the configuration that Takahashi had advised him. I'm sure it will work perfectly, and it's a good, future-proof focuser to have in any case, I reckon.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Excellent stuff!

I should have added I do use an extension tube when using 1.25" diagonal. I think a regular feather touch is a fine choice.

13 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Yes, I bounced the LW 2.5" version off my supplier after he advised the standard one; he replied that this was the configuration that Takahashi had advised him. I'm sure it will work perfectly, and it's a good, future-proof focuser to have in any case, I reckon.

Very excited for you. It's a great scope, you will love using it.

1 minute ago, DirkSteele said:

Very excited for you. It's a great scope, you will love using it.

Ditto :)

Dare I mention how you are going to attach it to a mount? Clamshell or tube rings?

Archived