SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

dark location, clear skies and no telescope

rockystar

I'm currently on a weekend away with my wife, in Huby, about 10 miles north of York. The skies here are lovely and dark, and it's nice and clear - but no astronomy was planned, so I brought no equipment. While my wife had a nap, I had a walk down the lane to get away from the local LP of the hotel - what a beautiful local: Far more stars than at home, the moon casting shadows, and lovely all round horizons.

a bit of averted imagination possibly made M31 visible - I'm sure with the moon out of the way it will be. No real objects seen (no equipment, remember), just a naked eye tour of the constellations. Must book again, on a moonless night and remember to bring some equipment.

I managed to get out Lee but only on the patio and I had two hours before the clouds closed play.

The local light pollution and devils light bulb made things really difficult. Those distant galaxies that pop up were lost even to the bucket I have. I had a lot of diffraction arond most of the major stars and Sirius was flashing like a disco ball. I tried for a group of galaxies about Gemini but could only see two out of the full bunch NGC-2274/2275 and these were very much a struggle.

I also managed NGC-2903 just off Alterf (Lambda Leonis) which is really bright.

With the atmospheric effects I struggled with all but open clusters and Globs. The galactic wanderer above Gemini was way out of reach. I used the UHC filter on Sirius just as a tester and I'm not sure but think this showed up the Pup as a distinct red above the blue in the filter? Wonder if anyone else has had the same experience?

All in I can see why I don't bother much from home anymore :cry: 

I always bring a pair of 10x50 bins with me when i travel. In saying this, its also very nice to find a dark spot out of the local LP and just gaze upwards with your eyes. If i am down the town at night without the car, i'll always stop off on the way back home and just gaze upwards. 

Ah , there's always the scent of the night, the bucolic aroma of fallen apples , hay drying and foxes passing, or........

A few folk here like to burn their rubbish in the garden at night. Lino, tyres and polystyrene give that " je ne sais quoi " aroma. It must bring back memories ,as I get tears in my eyes and a choking sensation ,

Nick.

Archived