NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

B33 (Horsehead) *2 pane mosaic* as if it needed more space !!

swag72

Following on from my Horsehead nebula in mono thread here I was quite happy with it as it was.... then ..... @pietervdv was a very naughty boy and suggested that perhaps I *may* like to do another pane above it. Well how could I resist when I was finally up and running with the dual rig. Double bubble on the Ha time as I've got a 3nm Astrodon in both camera's. It would have been rude to ignore his suggestion!

The original thread was called widefield.... so this one can only be *even wider* :)

All comments and thoughts welcomed (except those that suggest ANOTHER couple of panes are in order) - There will be no colour either this year :)

Details:

M: Mesu 200
T: Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x

Pane 1: 
C: QSI683 3nm Ha filter - 27x1800s

Pane 2: 
C: QSI683 3nm Ha filter / Moravian G2-8300 3nm Ha Filter
20x1800s QSI / 8x1800s G2-3800

Total exposure time 27.5 hours

You can see a larger version on my website here

HH_mosaic_SGL.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys for all of your comments .... The reason for no RGB is the lack of time plain and simple and I have looked and I have the pane to the upper right already in Ha and would just need lower right.... but no!!! no no!!! This lady is not for turning :D:D 

Nice work Sara, the extra pane makes it a more interesting image.  

Question on the dual rig - how are you managing the two cameras?  Are they run intelligently through a single piece of software (I know SGL said they would sort this one day?) Or does it require separate application/instance?

Paddy

Stunning image, Sara. This should become an apod.

The image is also very well framed in the standard sgl view, with a black frame and a thin gray line. You might consider printing and framing this way.

Thanks guys for your comments - Theya re much appreciated :)

1 hour ago, zicklurky said:

The only niggle I have is the satellite trail at the bottom, just off centre moving upwards. I am a stickler for them :) 

I didn't see that!! I think it's part of a column defect I have -It's all sorted now thanks!! :)

37 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Question on the dual rig - how are you managing the two cameras?  Are they run intelligently through a single piece of software (I know SGL said they would sort this one day?) Or does it require separate application/instance?

I'm running 2 instances of SGP - One camera acts as the main controlling the mount, flips etc and the other is just a slave all night..... It worked perfectly :)

Just now, swag72 said:

I'm running 2 instances of SGP - One camera acts as the main controlling the mount, flips etc and the other is just a slave all night..... It worked perfectly :)

Do you get no issues when software instances get out of sync?  EG a refocus or download takes longer on one than other?  The other then could still be finishing a sub and the main software is slewing or similar?

1 minute ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Do you get no issues when software instances get out of sync?  EG a refocus or download takes longer on one than other?  The other then could still be finishing a sub and the main software is slewing or similar?

Sure it's all out of sync, but what does it matter? It's using a separate guider, so both scopes can refocus when they like without affecting the guiding........ The camera's do download at a different speed, but that doesn't matter...... I will lose two subs max from the slave camera at flip or target change and that's worse case scenario.

3 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Sure it's all out of sync, but what does it matter? It's using a separate guider, so both scopes can refocus when they like without affecting the guiding........ The camera's do download at a different speed, but that doesn't matter...... I will lose two subs max from the slave camera at flip or target change and that's worse case scenario.

OK cool, that's where I got to as well, sacrifice a few subs for the greater good!  Just wondered if you had worked out something I have not yet......

Just now, PatrickGilliland said:

OK cool, that's where I got to as well, sacrifice a few subs for the greater good!  Just wondered if you had worked out something I have not yet......

Nope! Nothing that groundbreaking!!! There's a couple of software programmes that do dual capture - Prism  for example..... but I didn't fancy being a pioneer!!! :D  I'm not that smart :)

Just now, swag72 said:

Nope! Nothing that groundbreaking!!! There's a couple of software programmes that do dual capture - Prism  for example..... but I didn't fancy being a pioneer!!! :D  I'm not that smart :)

Yes looked at that but did not like the interface. SGP said they were going to release then never saw it.  Shame, not that complex afterall.

Wow that is probably as good as anything i have ever seen. Just stunning detail. And i think i would be tempted to keep it mono although those gorgeous reds associated with this area are tempting i do think the detail just looks so good in mono.

Archived