NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello all

I had a attempt again at the Rosette Nebula with my unmodded 550d and when computing the stars on DSS was getting over 1500 stars in the count. In fact I thought it was a mistake! 

Anyway here is my modest attempt no autoguider and just modest processing in Lightroom. 

Im very pleased with it please let me know your thoughts 

http://www.astrobin.com/full/275591/0/?nc=user

By the way wishing all a happy and Blessed Christmas to all

Gerry

Beautiful image, well done Gerry, especially as it’s unguided. I think I will target this next when the skies are clear as it will between rooftops where I am. I also use an unmodified camera and will be intrigued with my results.

Happy Christmas to all!

Mike

Thanks everyone. Yes I just uploaded it quick without the details. 

It is 27 frames of 2 minutes. Darks I used from a library which were 20. No bias of flats. I did it at ISO 3200. I'm starting using it recently as I can do shorter exposures sacrificing a little noise

This was done on eq6 pro and skywatcher 150pds and Canon 500d using APT to do the shots. 

Here I didn't start taking shots until after 11pm otherwise it's too low in the sky and light pollution is worse. 

Just to say I took many more frames but I deleted them due to a stray cat jumping all over my equipment! 

Very nice image :) someone might be able to say better than me but I wonder if you could try super pixel mode in DSS with this as you are currently at only 1.173 arcsec/pixel, it might help give you better signal to noise ratio? Its something I intend to try with my 550D as its got a fair number of pixels. I know its suggested for H-a but am not 100% sure of the benefits for broadband imaging.

Hello Adam

First of all I didn't know there was a super pixel mode. I'll check for that in the settings. Please explain I will definitely try it. Also how did you find out it was 1.173 arc seconds? I'm still learning but love to learn all this stuff. Just been watching Craig Stark which talks about similar things. 

Any insight will be grateful 

Gerry

Actually I just saw where you got that. Silly me. I think it could be my way of processing. I do not have a computer that I can process on. So what I do is convert the tiff file to png to half the size then I upload it and process in Lightroom on my iPad. That's probably where I'm losing some detail. Until I get a computer but I'd be happy to upload it for someone else to process it. 

2 hours ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Actually I just saw where you got that. Silly me. I think it could be my way of processing. I do not have a computer that I can process on. So what I do is convert the tiff file to png to half the size then I upload it and process in Lightroom on my iPad. That's probably where I'm losing some detail. Until I get a computer but I'd be happy to upload it for someone else to process it. 

As you surmised astrobin calculates it for you using plate solving and displays it in your acquisition details.

How are you stacking the image without a PC? Can you do that in light room? Super Pixel mode is avaliable on PC applications like DSS and PixInsight and is part of the debayering process.

4 hours ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

No I do have a Pc but just a old one! So stacking is done on that. 

Where is super pixel mode? I can't find it. I see high dynamic range. 

Its on the left bottom under options / Raw / fits digital development settings / create super pixels

Archived