NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Japan tests magnetic tether for slowing space junk

Putaendo Patrick

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

...  any attempt to diminish the amount of space junk looks like a good idea!

Couldn't agree more! We've made, and are making, a big enough mess down here!

Correction, too big enough mess down here. ???

Within 50 yrs.........mankind's exploration of space has turned our lovely pristine blue marble into something like this:

It quite disgusting. Good thing there is no other life in the universe (that we know of) who would see this and think "what the hell are they doing".

earth.jpg

On 10/12/2016 at 11:31, Peter Drew said:

I wouldn't have thought there was much ferrous material in space junk due to weight considerations.  :icon_biggrin:

Doesn't have to be ferrous. Virtually any metal will exhibit electromagnetic properties (look up Lenz Law then start dropping supermagnets down copper pipes to confuse the kids :-) )

AndyG

7 hours ago, 101nut said:

Doesn't have to be ferrous. Virtually any metal will exhibit electromagnetic properties (look up Lenz Law then start dropping supermagnets down copper pipes to confuse the kids :-) )

AndyG

Very true, I've obviously not thought it through as carefully as the Japanese!  :icon_biggrin:

It's a very good idea, as long as the electromagnetic properties will work with the types of metals use in satellites but as it also states, it will only capture larger objects, they also need to address the issue of all the thousands of smaller items (even flecks of paint!) that can act like bullets at orbital speeds and punch holes in solar arrays or, perish the thought, an astronauts suit!

Many accidents just waiting to happen because of all that rubbish up there,
The Japanese are to be applauded for at least making an attempt to drag  some of it  out of orbit.
I hope they are successful, then at least there will be a system that does work.

Looking at an animation of this today (unfortunately in Japanese) and it appears to be a micro-satellite that attaches itself to a dead device in orbit, unreels its amazingly long bit of wire which can then cause the electromagnetic drag to de-orbit the device. My question is, if my interpretation is correct, why not just use a micro-satellite with a conventional micro-thruster to provide the de-orbit impulse?

AndyG

Thankfully, the debris they are focused on, is only small potatoes, which obviously
eliminated any worry about any of it actually reaching the ground, as it will disintegrate to nothing but fine particles
This ensures that release from orbit may take place anywhere, at any point over the earth.
what I mean is, none of it will need to be targeting to a specific ocean destination.

On 10/12/2016 at 00:57, LukeSkywatcher said:

Within 50 yrs.........mankind's exploration of space has turned our lovely pristine blue marble into something like this:

It quite disgusting. Good thing there is no other life in the universe (that we know of) who would see this and think "what the hell are they doing".

earth.jpg

Of course, it doesn't actually look like that.

The junk is so small as to be invisible.

Nobody complains about the asteroid belt and that is far worse from an alien perspective.

27 minutes ago, Kropster said:

Of course, it doesn't actually look like that.

The junk is so small as to be invisible.

Nobody complains about the asteroid belt and that is far worse from an alien perspective.

What?!!!

With respect, Kropster, certainly the graphic is exaggerated but surely the point is to highlight the mess WE have made around our planet. The asteroid belt and similar 'rubble fields' are not of our doing.

Meanwhile, sorting out the mess we are making ON our planet is a challenge we haven't faced up to yet.

1 hour ago, Floater said:

With respect, Kropster, certainly the graphic is exaggerated but surely the point is to highlight the mess WE have made around our planet. The asteroid belt and similar 'rubble fields' are not of our doing.

Meanwhile, sorting out the mess we are making ON our planet is a challenge we haven't faced up to yet.

Yes, but we are talking of the view an alien might have of our system.

Indeed. So 'an alien' would see that the space junk is something we have created. If those aliens take a kindly view they will put it down to our ignorance and undeveloped understanding of what we were doing. If not so kindly disposed, they may assume we are litter louts and 'chastise' us severely. ?

But I'm just about done here. I'm sure we're not arguing about this, just coming at the subject from different angles.

The upshot is that I hope we can clean up after ourselves and that, in future, we become more enlightened.

Clear Skies!

8 hours ago, Floater said:

Indeed. So 'an alien' would see that the space junk is something we have created. If those aliens take a kindly view they will put it down to our ignorance and undeveloped understanding of what we were doing. If not so kindly disposed, they may assume we are litter louts and 'chastise' us severely. ?

But I'm just about done here. I'm sure we're not arguing about this, just coming at the subject from different angles.

The upshot is that I hope we can clean up after ourselves and that, in future, we become more enlightened.

Clear Skies!

Indeed.

I would just say that we need to keep calm, do it as best we can with our technology, but don't get swept up in the Armageddon style hysteria.

The image i posted of the space junk orbiting Earth is obviously not real,but it gives you an idea of just how much humankind has littered space around our planet.  Its an accepted image of the problem.

lets try and start to clean it up................

Even if we are the only life in the universe......lets least try clean up our own mess in orbit.

Archived