Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

No need to thank me all at once!!

davekermito

OK OK I'm only posting this to get praise, as my ego needs a caress from time to time!

Over the last few years, I've been involved with the design (well more the costing) of several large developments around the West Midlands and Worcestershire, particularly new medical centres. After three years of non-stop arguing with architects and electrical engineering designers, I have managed to convince them that although powerful uplighters may look very nice in 'light-washing' buildings at night, they result in considerable pointless light pollution, which as I dont need to tell you, is already a serious problem.

All current projects I am involved with are now complete with roof eave downlighting and hopefully designers I have worked with will take heed of my incessant complaining!

I know it's only a tiny difference, but I feel education is the key rather than protest in this instance.

I've even held a very nerve racking seminar with many of our (Carillion) key designers and partnering architects over the issue of light pollution, which went well enough for at least some of them to take LP into consideration when putting together design concepts.

nice one Dave every little helps in the ongoing education of the great unwashed who think bathing in street lights is better for you than star light maybe we should make an advert like the ones used to advertise beauty products.all OK this seems like one of those moments to throw down a challenge to all our sgl members to come up with a prototype for the advert the gauntlet has been cast

Bully for you Dave. It is disappointing that you had to argue the cause so much when there are already pressure groups, concerns about energy costs etc. I'd have thought architects, designers and the like would be well aware of the issues.

Anyway ..... THANK YOU :D

Mike

Well done Dave. As MikeP has said though, I am surprised that energy costs haven't caused architects to look at this earlier. Although I'm sure it takes some time from discovering the initial need to design to build, so we will hopefully see more of this happening in the future.

Steve.

From little Acorns mighty Oaks grow. Your small ripple will turn into a Tsunami Dave.

You are to be revered for drawing attention once again to this emotive subject.

Let the city kids see the stars they have been starved of for generations.

Ron.

Thanks for all the kind words people, it's been a thankless task, so if nothing else you've brightened up by day (please don't brighten up my night though)!

Apologies for the awful pun in the above paragraph, though.

Nice one Dave - persistence will pay off.

I've spent the best part of five years trying to 'encourage' my employer (a local authority) to take a more active role in tackling light pollution to little avail with only minor advances. If nothing else they all have greater awareness but until central government tells them its important, by and large most local authorities will only pay lip service to their avowed intent to reduce light pollution. It doesn't help that most planning issues are handled by local authorities whereas street lighting is handled by County Councils...

Perhaps when I'm no longer an employee and am a 'customer' I will be listened to more... :?

Archived