Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Andromeda mosaic

alan4908

I decided to have an attempt at generating my first mosaic and picked M31 since it would require only 4 panels to achieve a reasonable framing.  Having learnt how automate the image acquisition, six weeks later I had quite a few images....... I then had to figure out how to assemble the mosaic.  After a little research, I  decided on a combination of RegiStar and PS and ended up with about 13 hours per panel with a LRGB + H blend.  The result is below, which I quite like.  Comments and constructive criticism are welcome. 

Alan

M31 Final.jpg

M31 core (cropped)

M31 core crop.jpg

LIGHTS: L:16,16,18,12; R:19,12,15,13; G:16,18,9,10; B:18,19; 13; 16 x 600s; H: 5, 8, 6, 6, x 1800s.  DARKS: 30; BIAS:100; FLATS: 40      

9 hours ago, astroman001 said:

Superb mosaic image, can't see the joins. An impressive 51 hrs data!

Peter

Thanks Peter  - I think I'll go for a non-mosaic image for my next target.  Even with my automated image acquisition set up, acquiring this amount of data under UK weather conditions challenges even my patience levels :happy11:

Alan

On 10/17/2016 at 02:25, alan4908 said:

Thanks Peter  - I think I'll go for a non-mosaic image for my next target.  Even with my automated image acquisition set up, acquiring this amount of data under UK weather conditions challenges even my patience levels :happy11:

Alan

Great image....like you, after finishing a lowly 2 panel mosaic, I decided I may NEVER want to do another mosaic (not really), but certainly not for a while.  Yours is brilliant though and adding a few panels to get a deep space setting for this jewel would be awesome.

32 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Great image....like you, after finishing a lowly 2 panel mosaic, I decided I may NEVER want to do another mosaic (not really), but certainly not for a while.  Yours is brilliant though and adding a few panels to get a deep space setting for this jewel would be awesome.

Thanks for the comment Rodd. It was quite satisfying to finish the 4 panel mosaic after the long wait. So, at the moment, my enthusiasm for adding additional panels is approximately zero - but who knows, maybe this will change in the future....:happy7:

Archived